Disabling P2P protocols? (Torrents)

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Chilly8

Re: Disabling P2P protocols? (Torrents)

Post by Chilly8 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:34 am

Guest wrote:
> Is this possible? The main concern i have is illegal activities such as
> torrent downloadings.. according to torrentfreak article, P2P protocol can
> be disabled?
>
> If i want to host server, i wish the users to use it for normal legal
> activities and not torrenting the shit out of it.

The Sofether software won't let you do that, while you are listed on the VPNGates list. The only way to do this is to create your own VPN hub, and then advertise the server somewhere other than the VPNGates list. When you are connected to the list, it overrides all your other settings. I even tried hacking the config file to circumvent this, but the moment I turned on the option to be listed, my settings got overwritten.

That is why I made a post here about our VPN, rather than have SoftWEther list it on the VPNGates, list, so that we can block categories of content that might have the cops knocking at my door.

If you want to do this, create your own hub, then create login and password both VPN, and then set the IPsec key to vpn, then advertise your server in the forums here. Just be sure you have those setting in the VPN hub you create, so that users can merely follow the connecton instructions for L2TP, and then simply use the address of your server, insted of any opengw.net address.

Look at the L2TP connection instructions here on VPNGate, so that you will know how to configure your server so users can connect.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:45 am

You can add an new filtering rule to access list of VPN gate virtual HUB.

Chilly8

Post by Chilly8 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 pm

cedar wrote:
> You can add an new filtering rule to access list of VPN gate virtual HUB.

The software won't let you do that. If you try it, you will get message "Unacceptable operation. Use the VPN Gate control panel to change the VPN Gate relay server settings".

The only way to do this set up your own VPN hub with the filtering settings you want and then advertise the server on here, with all the settings needed to create an L2TP VPN connection to your server.