Access files on server from client

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mjpreplab

Access files on server from client

Post by mjpreplab » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey, I'm pretty new to this vpn software. I've successfully installed and configured the server & 1 client pc. I want to access/Browse the files on the server via the client computer. How do I do this?

fenice

Re: Access files on server from client

Post by fenice » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:56 pm

You don't actually mention which OS the VPN server software is running on. In any case, you should be able to configure the VPN server to provide some sharing protocol, such as SMB, then connect using the same protocol from the client - that's what I do from my android phone to view any of the files in my LAN.
Regards

Bill

mjpreplab

Post by mjpreplab » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm

My bad, they're both windows 10 x64

fenice

Post by fenice » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:28 pm

mjpreplab wrote:
> My bad, they're both windows 10 x64

That's no problem. :) It should be fairly simple to configure SMB shares on the server and an SMB client on the VPN client. Unfortunately I haven't used Windows very much since Windows 7 so I can't help much with Windows 10 but there should be plenty of articles on the internet that describe how to do it. One thing you may need to watch out for is any firewall you have on bothe client and server, you may need to let them through your firewall although I think it's fairly simple tehse days.
Regards

Bill

mjpreplab

Post by mjpreplab » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm

fenice wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:28 pm
mjpreplab wrote:
> My bad, they're both windows 10 x64

That's no problem. :) It should be fairly simple to configure SMB shares on the server and an SMB client on the VPN client. Unfortunately I haven't used Windows very much since Windows 7 so I can't help much with Windows 10 but there should be plenty of articles on the internet that describe how to do it. One thing you may need to watch out for is any firewall you have on bothe client and server, you may need to let them through your firewall although I think it's fairly simple tehse days.
Ok, thanks... i'll scour the net

mjpreplab

Post by mjpreplab » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:38 pm

oh man! I still haven't found an SMB client software for file sharing...

fenice

Post by fenice » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:42 pm

You should be able to configure explorer to allow acceess to the SMB share on your server then you'd need to configure explorer to access those shares, there is no need of any other client. Take a look at this article (for starters): http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... windows-10
Regards

Bill