config files

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
nanatsuaazu

config files

Post by nanatsuaazu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:06 pm

After downloading OpenVPN file, clicking .exe file produced the following error message;
No readable connection files (config files) found. Use the "Import File.." menu.

Where can I find the config. file and where is the Import File menu?

Pandora-Box

Re: config files

Post by Pandora-Box » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Hello nanatsuaazu,
You have described your issues in a very enigmatic way.
I am guessing here and will try to guide you what to do.
Assuming you try to run it on a Windows machine.

1. If you want to run VPNGate, get it here:
http://www.vpngate.net/en/download.aspx
or use any available legitimate mirrors:
http://www.vpngate.net/en/sites.aspx

2. To use openvpn configuration files you will have to install OpenVPN from here:
https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sour ... loads.html

3. Now get VPNGate openvpn configuration files from here:
http://www.vpngate.net/en/
Scroll down the page and search for column named: OpenVPN Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android
and on the level of each server supporting openvpn feature there is ready configuration file you can download.
These files have an extension .ovpn and if server supports they are available for TCP/UDP and DDNS or IP address.

4. Once you have .ovpn configuration file for a specific server move that file to OpenVPN installation directory to config subdirectory (example: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config); right-click on OpenVPN GUI shortcut and go to position "Open File Location", it will get you into \bin subdirectory. So, go one level up to OpenVPN subdirectory and find there \config subdirectory. Move the .ovpn file there, to \config directory.

5. Now, to use that .ovpn file you have couple options:

---a) you do not need to move to config directory. If you did NOT move it just right click on it (wherever you saved this .ovpn file) on the file name and choose "Start OpenVPN on this config file" (second position from the top). And OpenVPN daemon should start (this is not GUI interface).

---b) if you moved .ovpn file into \config directory, as instructed above, you can run OpenVPN GUI IN ADMINISTRATIVE MODE!!! (RIGHT-CLICK and "Run as administrator"; this is crucial to run it in administrative mode!). Once Gui opens you will see in the Tray small computer icon with a small lock, right-click that icon and there will be a list of available configuration files. Move mouse pointer to respective file you would want to use and new submenu will open with the option to "Connect". Click "Connect" and the connection process will be initiated.
If the server is up and running you should get connected.
Good Luck.
P-B

nanatsuaazu

Post by nanatsuaazu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. However, it still does not work.
After the step 5. b), the OpenVPN GUI IN ADMINISTRATIVE MODE produces a small window which says that OpenVPN GUI is already running. It does not follow as you described.

My path has been as follows;
Download SoftEther VPN Client + VPN Gate Client Plugin
vpngate-client-2017.03.29-build-9634.138030.zip
This file creates a new folder SoftEther VPN Client and installs the programs.
The client connection manager screen appears and by clicking the VPN GATE OPEN CONNECTION SERVER various server listings are displayed. Then when one of the server is clicked, it produces the error message "the error code 2 has developed and the error was returned from the connecting server."
The same error code appears no matter which server was chosen.

Pandora-Box

Post by Pandora-Box » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Hello nanatsuaazu,

1. Regarding OpenVPN GUI, just right click icon in the tray and EXIT. It should close the instance of OpenVPN GUI.

2. Regarding "error code 2", I am not sure if I will be able to help, but if I had to troubleshoot, I would uninstall completely SoftEther VPNGate Client, including SoftEther VPN Client network adapter, and reinstall entire package.
Make sure VPN network adapter is re-installed.
Once I did it , I had no issues to connect to servers listed in the VPN Manager window.
Again, you might face some additional Windows issues.
You might try to temporarily disable any firewalls and security applications, this might help.
Also, there are client logs in client installation directory, maybe they will shed some information and more light what is the culprit of those "error code 2" issues.
Good Luck.
P-B

nanatsuaazu

Post by nanatsuaazu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 pm

OpenVPN GUI has no EXIT command. Only CUT and DELETE are the closest ones.

I have completely deleted all files from OpenVPN folder save ...ovpn file in the config directory, and all the folders of SoftEther VPNGate Client.
Then I have installed anew starting from
Download SoftEther VPN Client + VPN Gate Client Plugin
vpngate-client-2017.03.29-build-9634.138030.zip

But again the same protocol error message, code 2, appears.

Before deleting client logs were checked, but it records only a series of event like an error 2 has developed, disconnected and so on, but does not indicate the reason or where it comes from.

Where is the VPN network adapter? Is it the same as Windows VPN Client Adapter? How can I delete and reinstall it?

Pandora-Box

Post by Pandora-Box » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Hello nanatsuaazu,
It seems we have a bit of communication problems.

1. Regarding OpenVPN, I am talking OpenVPN server from:
If you installed this package including OpenVPN GUI, it definitively has exit menu entry (under Windows OS).
It has listings of all .ovpn configuration files from \config subdir, also "Import File", and "Settings", and "Exit" options.
It does NOT have CUT or DELETE options.
I am talking about OpenVPN application which is NOT the same as SoftEther VPNGate application.
BTW this OpenVPN application installs its own VPN TAP adapters under Windows.

2. Regarding SoftEther VPNGate application (which again is NOT the same as OpenVPN app) it installs its own VPN adapters and names it "VPN Client Adapter - VPN".
You can find it 3 ways:
---a) if you open SoftEther VPN Client Manager this window will have 2 (two) parts: upper with VPN connections options (including VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers) and a bottom part with VPN adapters. If VPN adapter is installed it should show up in the lower part of SoftEther VPN Client Manager window.
If you do not see it, there in SoftEther VPN Client Manager in top menu is an option called "Virtual Adapter", you can add new or delete old VPN adapter.
---b) the other way to view network adapters is to open Windows (7,8,10) Network and Sharing Center, go on the left to change adapter settings and view your adapters.
---c) To uninstall you will have to go to computer management and choose Device Manager, there in the middle part Network Adapters, and there should be listed VPN adapter.
Now remember if you installed correctly OpenVPN app there you will have TAP adapter which is NOT the same as SoftEther VPN, which is VPN Client Adapter - VPN (just be careful NOT to damage your applications devices and OS.
I hope this now will be a bit more clear.
Good Luck.
P-B

nanatsuaazu

Post by nanatsuaazu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 am

Let's concentrate on SoftEther VPN first.

2. a) VPN adapter is called Virtual LAN Card there.
By deleting the old and creating a new VPN adapter does not change the situation. The same error code 2 is the result.
2. b) There it's called VPN Client Adapter - VPN. The properties tag appears to be normal. It says that the device is working properly. Besides I don't know what to look for or what to modify. This adapter was disabled, but when the step 2.a) was carried out, it returned to the enabled position.
2. c) VPN Client Adapter - VPN was deleted, and when the step 2.a) was performed, it was again reinstituted.

In all three cases, the deletion and creation of Virtual Adapter = VPN Client Adapter - VPN = Virtual LAN Card posed no problem. But when tried to connect through VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers, the old error code 2 appears persistently. It appears that SoftEther VPN has a fundamental problem.

Pandora-Box

Post by Pandora-Box » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm

I took some time to browse for softether VPN error code 2, and sometimes just plain system reboot clears it.
Also, the most frequent cause of it is interference from firewalls or other third party security applications.
You might try to investigate firewalls/security on your side, it might be something in between, as your ISP or your country is blocking ports, or finally the remote side.
Unfortunately these kinds of interference are pretty difficult to troubleshoot.
Try to temporarily disable firewall(s) on your side.
Sorry, I don't think I will be able to assist you better than this.
Good Luck.
P-B

nanatsuaazu

Post by nanatsuaazu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Both Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Security were disabled and VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers were connected, but the situation did not improve at all with the error code 2. So I must give up the SoftEther VPN finally.

Then I moved on to the other procedure you described in the Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 pm.
It is now working even with both Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Security are enabled.
But there are some questions;
In the step 4, a particular server was selected arbitrarily to obtain .ovpn file and copied into C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config directory. If this particular server became unavailable in future (all will go through such an experience from time to time.), do I have to go through the above steps by selecting another server?

In the step 5.b) (I chose OpenVPN...(TCP/522)), right clicking the small computer icon with a small lock does not show a list of available configuration files, but instead a menu for connect, view log, edit config, import file, settings and exit. So I clicked the Connect button, then a sequence of system messages is displayed and a brief statement flahed saying that it is now connected to the server I selected in the step 4.

In the case of SoftEther VPN the selection of server was a one click operation. Is there no such a simple procedure to select a server in the case of OpenVPN?

Pandora-Box

Post by Pandora-Box » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:26 pm

I feel bad that you are having these problems.
Lets try step by step what I know and can answer first and some other suggestions later.
1. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In the step 4, a particular server was selected arbitrarily to obtain .ovpn file and copied into C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config directory. If this particular server became unavailable in future (all will go through such an experience from time to time.), do I have to go through the above steps by selecting another server?
>>>>>>>>>>>> Unfortunately, Yes, you will have to find another server from vpngate.net web page.

2. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In the step 5.b) (I chose OpenVPN...(TCP/522)), right clicking the small computer icon with a small lock does not show a list of available configuration files, but instead a menu for connect, view log, edit config, import file, settings and exit. So I clicked the Connect button, then a sequence of system messages is displayed and a brief statement flahed saying that it is now connected to the server I selected in the step 4.
>>>>>>>>>>>> a) SoftEther server can run OpenVPN protocols, however SoftEther VPN client does not support OpenVPN and thus you have to use the native OpenVPN client to connect using OpenVPN protocol.
Under connection you do not see servers list because you have only one in \config directory. Once you get couple more they will be listed there on the list.
b) If you want one click option to connect to OpenVPN servers you can by just right clicking on .ovpn file (wherever you saved this .ovpn file) on the file name and choose "Start OpenVPN on this config file" (second position from the top). And OpenVPN daemon should start (this is not GUI interface).

3. Now lets get to something which confuses me:
You wrote: >>>Both Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Security were disabled and VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers were connected, but the situation did not improve at all with the error code 2<<<<<<<<<<
So, were you able to connect or not?
And when error code 2 started popping up?
I found here the link you might look at (the last post) http://forum.softether.org/viewtopic.ph ... 8048a91780

Also, lets clarify are you using SoftEther VPN client (which is different than->) or SoftEther VPNGate client with VPNGate plugin?
Are you running possibly SoftEther VPN server on the same machine together with VPN client at the same time?
Which Windows version are you using XP/7/8/10?
Are you possibly located in China or any other country heavily censoring internet?
P-B

nanatsuaazu

Post by nanatsuaazu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:12 pm

I have completely deleted any reference to SoftEther VPN.
OpenVPN daemon displays the same or similar sequence when the Connect button was clicked on the small icon on the task bar. I don't know what to do with it.
the situation did not improve at all with the error code 2 ->does not work.
Windows 7 and South Africa.

Let the developers of SoftEther VPN hassle about the problem.

zazarickoty

Post by zazarickoty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Pandora-Box wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:59 pm
Hello nanatsuaazu,
You have described your issues in a very enigmatic way.
I am guessing here and will try to guide you what to do.
Assuming you try to run it on a Windows machine.

1. If you want to run VPNGate, get it here:
or use any available legitimate mirrors:
http://www.vpngate.net/en/sites.aspx

2. To use openvpn configuration files you will have to install OpenVPN from here:

3. Now get VPNGate openvpn configuration files from here:
Scroll down the page and search for column named: OpenVPN Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android
and on the level of each server supporting openvpn feature there is ready configuration file you can download.
These files have an extension .ovpn and if server supports they are available for TCP/UDP and DDNS or IP address.

4. Once you have .ovpn configuration file for a specific server move that file to OpenVPN installation directory to config subdirectory (example: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config); right-click on OpenVPN GUI shortcut and go to position "Open File Location", it will get you into \bin subdirectory. So, go one level up to OpenVPN subdirectory and find there \config subdirectory. Move the .ovpn file there, to \config directory.

5. Now, to use that .ovpn file you have couple options:

---a) you do not need to move to config directory. If you did NOT move it just right click on it (wherever you saved this .ovpn file) on the file name and choose "Start OpenVPN on this config file" (second position from the top). And OpenVPN daemon should start (this is not GUI interface).

---b) if you moved .ovpn file into \config directory, as instructed above, you can run OpenVPN GUI IN ADMINISTRATIVE MODE!!! (RIGHT-CLICK and "Run as administrator"; this is crucial to run it in administrative mode!). Once Gui opens you will see in the Tray small computer icon with a small lock, right-click that icon and there will be a list of available configuration files. Move mouse pointer to respective file you would want to use and new submenu will open with the option to "Connect". Click "Connect" and the connection process will be initiated.
If the server is up and running you should get connected.
Good Luck.
P-B
After the step 5. b), the OpenVPN GUI IN ADMINISTRATIVE MODE produces a small window which says that OpenVPN GUI is already running. It does not follow as you described.