set-up dialogue errors/problems

SoftEther VPN に関するご質問はこのフォーラムにお気軽にご投稿ください。
vonp

set-up dialogue errors/problems

Post by vonp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm

SoftEther VPN Project (stable release)
As of 2014.03.15: RTM Version 4.04, BUILD 9412 dtd 2014.01.15

A.) REMOTE SERVER SET-UP:
1.) the first dialogue — requesting the typical layout for the server being set up — has an "advanced" (third) option. this stops the config wizard in its tracks. users should, instead, be advised that taking one (1) of the first two (2) options can be modified later to include the non-basic set-ups. this allows the basic server params to be config'd through the wizard without subjecting a neophyte user to trying to "go it alone" in a manual set up proc. it is best to get the server serving before configuring clustering et alii are contemplated.
2.) dynamic DNS dialogue from 'hint' button shows 'special' hostname versions of ...'v4.softether.net' and ...'v6.softether.net'. however, neither 'v4.' nor 'v6.' can be entered because the input box precludes any '.' (dots). your support of dynamic DNS through your nameserver(s) is helpful to a very small minority (people with only dynamic IP's are not likely to have much need in the way of virtual networking). thus, the preponderance of people with networks of static IP's should not be put through this process if they do not want/need it. moreover, i can understand you do not want further "sub-domaining" (created by further usage of dots in the user's own sub-domain) in your DNS system; but nobody i have ever heard of has dynamic IPv6 clients. so, if this facility of breaking out IPv4 and IPv6 is actually provided by your dDNS tracking, it seems pretty point-less, confusing to users, and needlessly complicating to yourselves.
3.) none of the primary settings dialogues requires individual-item pop-up dialogues which impose needless additional user input:
a.) change dialogue to tick boxes to permit individual/batch on/off boolean decisions and
b.) items (preferably clearly segregated) where alpha-numeric entry is required should have an edit box right next to the item which is activated when ticked.
4.) group security policy: See Item A.3, supra
5.) Virtual Hub Extended Options dialogue has missing descriptions [the last two (2)] which leaves users clueless re defaults and/or what the options actually do (despite the "helpful" camel-case option-naming employed):
a.) MaxLoggedPacketsPerMinute
b.) DoNotSaveHeavySecurityLogs
c.) See Item A.3, supra

B.) Emulation of other VPN-type applications; not investigated, due to the following status:

AT THIS POINT I DISCOVERED THAT THEIR INTERNAL USER AUTH IS TOO LOW-GRADE!

THUS, I DO NOT INTEND TO INVESTIGATE FURTHER UNTIL THEY RELEASE THE CERTIFICATE-BASED USER AUTHENTICATION METHODS THAT ARE SUPPOSEDLY ALREADY INCLUDED.

this S/W has been in the wild over a year and they have not delivered.

SEE SUBSEQUENT POSTING FOR MORE DETAILS