Multi-hop VPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
redbean

Multi-hop VPN

Post by redbean » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Hello,

I am currently trying to set up a VPN service for a small community with SoftEther. For this, I want to offer a multi-hop VPN (at least two hops), but I've not yet succeeded in setting it up. For clarity, what I'm trying to achieve:

User client > VPN Server 1 > VPN Server 2 > Internet
(I also refer to server 1 as the entry, and server 2 as the exit)
The setup is somewhat similar to the TOR project.

I've tried to set this up with cascading connections, but I could not figure out how to make all the traffic flow through server 2. Even if this worked, I think would mean I could not use the clustering option the way I want to (there would be set pairs of entry and exit servers?), so it's not ideal.
I've also tried to set it up with a SoftEther VPN instance on both servers, and a client instance on the entry node, connecting to the exit server. This established a connection, but also resulted in being unable to assign the user a DHCP address upon connecting to the entry server, and the user traffic bypassing the VPN servers entirely. I changed the range of internal IPs on server 1 (10.8.0.10-200 rather than the 192... it was originally), and this also did not remedy this.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
(Debian 7 32 bit)

dajhorn

Re: Multi-hop VPN

Post by dajhorn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:34 pm

> I've tried to set this up with cascading connections, but I could not figure out how
> to make all the traffic flow through server 2.

Running SoftEther in server mode on Server 1 and Server 2 with a cascaded connection from Server 1 to Server 2 is indeed the best solution.

The easiest configuration is to run SecureNAT on the Server 2 hub, such that Server 1 carries DHCP traffic between Server 2 and the user clients.

In this topology, neither Server 1 nor Server 2 are bridging a physical interface. This means that any changes to /etc/network/interfaces or use of brctl is likely a misconfiguration.

> Even if this worked, I think would mean I could not use the clustering option the way I want to (there would be set pairs of entry and exit servers?), so it's not ideal.

Get the simple things working first. Do complex things like clustering second.

redbean

Post by redbean » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Dajhorn, thank you for your reply. I set it up like you described and it works a charm. The setup is so simple I am a little embarrassed I could not figure it out through trial and error. Much obliged!

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Welcome.

sunxpert

Post by sunxpert » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Did you do it thru default gateway setting or somehow else?