DNS hostname change

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
maddangerous

DNS hostname change

Post by maddangerous » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:02 am

I was playing around and wanted to use the hostname for a vpn connection i deleted. the problem is that softether still picks up the hostname as registered in the DDNS. how can i fix this?

i do not want to disable DDNS

qupfer

Re: DNS hostname change

Post by qupfer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:39 am

If you have your old config file, you can restore a "key" and use the old hostname again. If you haven't your config file anymore, your hostname is gone.

As an alternative, you could use a other domain (or free subdomain) which link to the "cryptic" softether hostname. Just take a look at http://freedns.afraid.org/ or any domain dealer else....

maddangerous

Post by maddangerous » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:24 am

So, i think i have part of the config file. what exactly am i looking for to unregister the name?

Edit: i have the whole config file

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm hope, my answer is correct ;)

In your old config, you will have a part like
declare DDnsClient
{
bool Disabled false
byte Key YourDDNSKEY
string LocalHostname pi
string ProxyHostName $
uint ProxyPort 0
uint ProxyType 0
string ProxyUsername $
}

The "bye Key" is what you are looking for. Just copy it to your new config, reload the service and your old hostname should working again.

maddangerous

Post by maddangerous » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:30 am

I think i have it now, but i would like to change my VPN server name.. how can i do that? it seems so simple it is stupid but something just isnt working out here..

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:46 am

You can change the name which is corresponding the key by GUI or 'DynamicDnsSetHostname' command of vpncmd.