Inbound connections to SoftEther clients when using SecureNAT (SOLVED)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
abrookewood

Inbound connections to SoftEther clients when using SecureNAT (SOLVED)

Post by abrookewood » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 am

Hi All,

I have a standard SecureNAT setup (see attached) that is in place and working very well.

However, I now need to be able to configure inbound connections to the IP addresses assigned to the SoftEther Clients (e.g. 192.168.30.10) from servers residing in the same subnet as the SoftEther Server. Is this possible while using SecureNAT?

From what I can see, even the SoftEther Server is unable to connect to the IP addresses assigned to the SoftEther Clients: pings fail and there is nothing in the route table that points to the 192.168.30.x subnet.

Regards,

Antony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by abrookewood on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raafat

Re: Inbound connections to SoftEther clients when using SecureNAT

Post by raafat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 am

Do you mean that you need to receive IP addresses from the local DHCP server that resides on the local network that your SE server on and keep using the SecureNAT functionality?

raafat

Post by raafat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 am

One more thing, what is the platform that hosts your SE server?

abrookewood

Post by abrookewood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Raafat,

I mean that I have another server (Server B) sitting in the same subnet as the SE Server (i.e. in the same subnet in an AWS VPC).

I want Server B to be able to initiate a connection to one of the remote clients that are connected to the SE Server.

In order to do this, I have created a route that points the 192.168.30.x subnet to the SE Server. But the SE Server doesn't look like it will pass the traffic on.

In fact, even if I am connected to the SE Server via SSH, I can not ping any of the connected remote clients.

I have read a few scattered comments suggesting that the local hub (which SecureNAT uses) is isolated which might explain this and suggests that I might not be able to do this using SecureNAT.

I'm just looking for confirmation that this is the case.

Regards,

Antony

abrookewood

Post by abrookewood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Forgot to add that the SE Server is running on Ubuntu 16.04
Thanks.

abrookewood

Re: Inbound connections to SoftEther clients when using SecureNAT (SOLVED)

Post by abrookewood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 pm

So I was never able to get this to work with SecureNAT on. A colleague was able to resolve it with the following config: no SecureNAT; single NIC; single bridge. Once that was in place, inbound connections worked. In our case, we were specifically trying to get AWS Lambda to curl a webpage hosted on a dev laptop that was connected to AWS via SoftEther - which worked.