Can Softether connect my Windows Phone to my ASUS RT-ACRH13 router ?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
GKL1520

Can Softether connect my Windows Phone to my ASUS RT-ACRH13 router ?

Post by GKL1520 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help !

Let me first tell you what I am trying to do and the equipment I am trying to do it with.

All I want to do is to have just one IP network security camera on my home LAN that we can securely view remotely with our windows phones when we are away from our home WIFI and need to use our data plan. 

Here is our equipment:

Windows Phones:  Nokia Lumia 1520 and Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE (both running Windows mobile 8.1 with vpn client "L2TP over IPsec")

VPN  Router:  ASUS RT-ACRH13  https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-A ... fications/

IP Camera:  HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I   http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10508_i7593.html

With Softether is it possible to securely use my current router, an ASUS RT-ACRH13 and securely connect to the "L2TP with IPsec" client on my windows phone so we can view our IP camera remotely ?

If so, do I just download Softether to my computer ?

Is there a page to guide me step by step on how to set it up to work with the equipment I listed above ?

Thanks !

Gary

thisjun

Re: Can Softether connect my Windows Phone to my ASUS RT-ACRH13 router ?

Post by thisjun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 am

I think installing SoftEther VPN Server on router is difficult. So, I recommend to install SoftEther VPN Server on your computer.
BTW, your router has OpenVPN server function. It's easier installing OpenVPN client on your phone.

colapig

Post by colapig » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am

If you want to install softether vpn server on your router, you need to replace the ASUS firmware to Merlin-ASUSWRT. Before that, you need to check if there is a firmware for RT-ACRH13.
After changed the firmware of the router, you can install softether on it.

GKL1520

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 pm

thisjun wrote:
> I think installing SoftEther VPN Server on router is difficult. So, I
> recommend to install SoftEther VPN Server on your computer.
> BTW, your router has OpenVPN server function. It's easier installing
> OpenVPN client on your phone.

Thanks for the reply and idea, sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant installing the Softether VPN server on my computer, I just mentioned my router model as far as what router settings I needed to work with Softether, anyhow on an ip camera forum I was able to find a solution, I had some settings wrong and/or omitted both in Softether and my router settings, and my windows firewall was blocking the connection too, got it working now.

The OpenVPN would have been an easy solution, but Windows phones don't have an OpenVPN client, but an L2TP/IPsec client, hence the need for Softether.

GKL1520

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

colapig wrote:
> If you want to install softether vpn server on your router, you need to
> replace the ASUS firmware to Merlin-ASUSWRT. Before that, you need to check
> if there is a firmware for RT-ACRH13.
> After changed the firmware of the router, you can install softether on it.

Thanks for your reply and idea also, and sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant installing the Softether VPN server on my computer, I just mentioned my router model as far as what router settings I needed to work with Softether, anyhow on an ip camera forum I was able to find a solution, I had some settings wrong and/or omitted both in Softether and my router settings, and my windows firewall was blocking the connection too, got it working now.

Roger54

Post by Roger54 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Yes you can. Follow this thread: http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24328

GKL1520

Post by GKL1520 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Roger54 wrote:
> Yes you can. Follow this thread:
> http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24328

Thanks for the reply and idea, I already found what I had wrong from an ip camera forum, I had some settings wrong and/or omitted both in Softether and my router settings, and my windows firewall was blocking the connection too, got it working now. And I found out the port I had to forward was the one that comes up for ipv4 on the computer hardwired to my router.

The OpenVPN would have been an easy solution, but Windows phones don't have an OpenVPN client, but an L2TP/IPsec client, hence the need for using the free open source Softether VPN server software on my computer.