Proper way to set up private version of vpnazure

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ltilley

Proper way to set up private version of vpnazure

Post by ltilley » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi,

I am unfortunately behind a double NAT at home and only have access to 1 of the routers, so the normal NAT-T methods don't work. My experience with the vpnazure.net method has been that it's very slow and tops out at about 1 Mbps.

Assuming there's nothing I can do to increase the speed of the vpnazure connection, what is the proper way to set up a VPS to relay my connection? Here is what I think should work, but I'd appreciate some feedback:

Client ---> VPS w/ SoftEther Server <----- Home Machine w/ SoftEther Bridge -------> Local LAN

Right now, the connection looks like this:

Client ---> VPNAzure service ---> Home Machine w/ SoftEther Server -----> Local LAN

Specifically what I'm not sure of is how to set up the server/bridge so that the client can still access resources on the Local LAN

ltilley

Re: Proper way to set up private version of vpnazure

Post by ltilley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:51 pm

So it turns out this was easy. I just set up a VPS with softether configured as a central server for a bridge configuration and then didn't set up a local ethernet bridge on that server.

From the bridge at home I set up a cascade connection to the VPS and set up a local bridge to eth0 at home. This seems to have had the effect I intended. When connecting from a remote client, the client is issued an ip address in the same subnet as my home network and I can access all resources as expected.

My only remaining problem is that I haven't been able to increase speeds significantly over the vpnazure method. If I do a speed test using vpncmd from the client to the VPS I get ~50 Mbps and if I do a speed test from my vpn bridge at home to my VPS, I get ~70 Mbps up/down but when I connect through the VPN from a client to any resource on my home network I'm only getting about ~3 Mbps

thisjun

Re: Proper way to set up private version of vpnazure

Post by thisjun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 am

Network delay has an effect on the throughput.
Could you tell delay of these network?