Failure to Pass Traffic iOS Per-Application VPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
tangoecanada

Failure to Pass Traffic iOS Per-Application VPN

Post by tangoecanada » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Greetings,

I have successfully sent a device an ovpn profile and have also assigned that VPN Profile to a Managed Application on my iPhone.

I have verified that the VPN does indeed connect to my server for this application, but no traffic is passing for that application. I'm at a loss as to how to debug this, and was wondering if anyone has had success with a per-application VPN setup using SoftEther and the OpenVPN protocol?

brokenglish

Re: Failure to Pass Traffic iOS Per-Application VPN

Post by brokenglish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:03 pm

Is there any specific reason to use OpenVPN on your iOS?
I couldn't connect using OpenVPN as well, but the built-in VPN client of iOS is flawless (the connection is not per application though - if that's what you're trying to achieve).

tangoecanada

Post by tangoecanada » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm not actually using OpenVPN (the client) on the iPhone.
I am indeed using the built-in support for the OpenVPN protocol in the OS.

The way that mobile device management (MDM) profiles work for "per-application VPN" is that I create a VPN profile for my devices (as an administrator), and then push them to the phone for a single application.

So, for example, I can tell my iPhone that the Chrome application must use the VPN.

My problem is that when I attempt to start a normal device-wide VPN, everything works. If I configure a per-application VPN (just for Chrome), then the Chrome application cannot send/receive data. It's as if there's a routing issue somewhere, but the configuration of the iOS device does not include 'routes' when configuring a VPN.

Something is making per-application VPNs fail, compared to the regular VPN (device-wide). I'm hoping that someone else has experience with the iOS Per-Application VPN using the OpenVPN protocol, since there's no information at all on the internet.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:28 am

iOS doesn't support OpenVPN.
So some application is needed to use OpenVPN.

I don't know well about MDM.