Problem with routing

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Tomek

Problem with routing

Post by Tomek » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:50 pm

Hello

I have problem with routes through SoftEther VPN.

I'm using SoftEther (4.19 Build 9599) server running on 64-bits Ubuntu 14.04.4
Virtual Hub is local bridged and L2TP/IPsec is only protocol used for now
Dnsmasq is used as a DHCP Server

All clients get default routes from Dnsmasq via dhcp-option=121 & dhcp-option=249 (for this case lets assume that all clients have set default route to Google via VPN ) and these routes work without any problem.
And the problem is that any other route than this set in Dnsmasq won't work.
For example if Windows client will add new own route with 'route add' this route won't work, but when routes are listed with 'route print' the new route is no different then working ones (from Dnsmasq), of course except destination.
Similar if Windows client has ticked option 'Use Default Gateway on Remote Network' in connection settings. Then connection with another website then google won't be possible.

So summing up I need make possible for clients to add their own routes in addition to default routes from Dnsmasq. I hope someone here would help me achieve this.

Tomek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

qupfer

Re: Problem with routing

Post by qupfer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Tomek wrote:

> I need make possible for clients to add their own routes in addition
> to default routes from Dnsmasq

I know, not a nice answer but; Just do it, its possible.
If this doesn't work, I would say you have a problem in your network setup...not direct related to softether.

But if you want help, you have to give more/better informations like a network plan, routing tables, used commands and so on.

Tomek

Post by Tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:54 am

Thank you for your answer.

I solved my problem
I had in Dnsmasq setting - dhcp-option=option:router
When I changed it to - dhcp-option=option:router,TAP_IPADDRESS
Routes added on client side started to work.

But I'm still not sure why it works this way.

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:39 am

Tomek wrote:
> I had in Dnsmasq setting - dhcp-option=option:router
> But I'm still not sure why it works this way.

With "-dhcp-option=option:router" you say your DHCP Client, that the default gateway is "empty" or in other words: no gateway. Nothing is going throug vpn as long no special route exist. (you create with other dhcp options or manual)
With the new rule, you set a default gateway. This mean, all traffic will go this way, if not filterred by an other routing decission. T

So again, please tell exactly what you want, what for IPs you use and what commands you entered. I still think you do not exactly what you really want.