Whole new setup

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
pbeumer2001

Whole new setup

Post by pbeumer2001 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to setup a vpn server with softether. I managed to create connections but not the way as i want to. I`ll first give you an impression of my setup and what I want to accomplice.

What I have and want: I have a running server which contains data that need to be transferred to other clients using a vpn connection.

Server had a local static ip address of 192.168.1.111. I setup a vpn server and activated it`s dhcp server with the following ip range; 80.0.0.1 (dhcp server) 80.0.0.2 - 80.0.0.254 range to release to clients.

I managed to get a connection with the softether vpn client but I really want to make a connection using the standard windows client. I tried to follow the tutorials but I’m getting a error 789 every time I try to connect. The softether vpn server logs are almost empty. It`s like the client pc`s don`t find the vpn server. There`s no communication between them.

Than the second problem have is that if clients are connected with the vpn server using the softether vpn client that they don`t have access to my server. On my local network my address for that server is http://192.168.1.111:9000. I thought that the address when using the vpn connection would be http://80.0.0.1:9000 but i was wrong.

If you need more info or if I’m not clear enough please tell me.

Thanks in advance Patrick

mark.barl

Re: Whole new setup

Post by mark.barl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:33 pm

I found that in the normal configuration the VPN server just acts as a gateway and it is quite difficult to get VPN clients to access information that sits on the server that is running the VPN server. Especially if it only has 1 NIC. I got round this by deploying the client on the server as well, connecting it to the virtual hub, therefore creating a virtual network that includes all the clients and the server as well. I used Virtual NAT and Virtual DHCP. I also put a static IP address on the VPN adaptor that was participating in the virtual LAN on the server.

pbeumer2001

Re: Whole new setup

Post by pbeumer2001 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Yes, I also installed the client on the server and made a connection. I know this solution but I though there was maybe a better one. I also want all the clients to be isolated. So that they can't communicate with each other. I know I can set this option under security policy but if I do that the clients also cannot communicate with the server.