Setup Softether with Active Directory Authentication

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
zatco

Setup Softether with Active Directory Authentication

Post by zatco » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello,

Currently I have Softhether setup with Free Radius that is authenticating with Open LDAP. I would like to change my authentication from using Free Radius at all, and authenticate using Network Policy Server on Windows 2012R2.

In Network Policy Server I have setup the VPN as a Radius Client, set the IP in Softether to the Domain Controller/Network Policy server but I am unable to authenticate.

Is there known issues with using Softether to authenticate with the Network Policy Server on Windows 2012R2? Do I need to keep Open Radius to connect?

Any suggestion to setup AD auth would be appreciated.

Thanks

bbk1674

Re: Setup Softether with Active Directory Authentication

Post by bbk1674 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:27 am

I have a lot of issues athenticating softether on Freeradius let alone on anything els, since Freeradius is what I read people have success with.
I have issues using Radius at all and I started with windows 2012 R2 NPS which could authenticate anything but softether.
I still cannot work this, the only way it has worked is installing the Free radius on the same VPS as Softether and using MySQL in a centralized manner. this is he only method I have successfuly, so I have to install freeradius on every VPN I need to auth softehter on and this seems wrong.
can you suggest anything, I need to authenticate with a remote Radius,
To be honest I don't recommend windows but try 'PfSense" it has FreeRadius2 ( an upgraded version of Freeradius+ WEB GUI), and awesome programs, can be very useful.
pfsense is a modified version of FreeBSD and cannot be installed, it has to be mounted and set up, so yo uhave to use a Vendor for your VPS and server which allows the use of other ISOs like Vultr.com where I have my PfSence and also upload my own versin of OS. Use this like to get some startup money and I get referral credit if you signed up. let me know if you have any questions at torontovpn@live.ca or here.
Thank you