Move from port 443 to something else

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
danieldaniel

Move from port 443 to something else

Post by danieldaniel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am

Hi all,

I want to run SoftEther server on an existing server that currently has a web server (NGINX) listening in ports 80 and 443

I want to run the VPN server on port 444 instead. Using the server manager app I've set up the listener to port 444 and deleted the listener on 443 but when a NGINX connection in to port 80/443 occurs on the server it seems to knock out the VPN server until i restart the service. Existing VPN connections are dropped and new ones won't connect.

The log files show a VPN connection coming in and then it fails to assign a DHCP IP with the message:

"Acquiring an IP address from the DHCP server failed. To accept a PPP session, you need to have a DHCP server. Make sure that a DHCP server is working normally in the Ethernet segment which the Virtual Hub belongs to. If you do not have a DHCP server, you can use the Virtual DHCP function of the SecureNAT on the Virtual Hub instead."

If I stop the VPN server service and restart it then connections work again. So I'm guessing that SoftEther is still listening on port 443 for some reason. Is it possible to move it to a different port (such as 444) so i can co-host it with the web services?

I'm using L2TP clients.

Cheers

thisjun

Re: Move from port 443 to something else

Post by thisjun » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 am

Connecting L2TP/IPSec doesn't use port 443 and 444.

Your problem isn't related to changing the listening port.