Newbie question: what is SoftEther?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
starbadge

Newbie question: what is SoftEther?

Post by starbadge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Guys... first post here.
BEFORE posting, I've spent many minutes trying to read up and understand what SoftEther is.
I've tried watching YouTube videos.
And am clueless.

SoftEther: let's you make your own VPN.
HOW?
This part I am struggling with.

- If I get a Linux VPS server, can I setup a VPN through this?

- From what I have read, I can setup a VPN at home - assuming through my existing ISP.
What's the point of that? I'm coming from the point of view of using the VPN for my own purposes.
If renting out a VPN... then, I can understand.

- You can use your mobile connection to make a VPN?
How? Need more explanation.

- Do I need extra hardware to make a VPN?

For me... at the end of the day, it's all about having different IP addresses that I can use and switch while using the internet.
Setting up a VPN facility is one thing... but then where (and how) does one get more (dedicated) IP addresses to use with the service?

Thanks. :)

centeredki69

Re: Newbie question: what is SoftEther?

Post by centeredki69 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello Starbadge,
-Softether Server software is a VPN program that can run on many platforms,(windows Linux Solaris,MAC ox , FreeDSB) and you do not need dedicated hardware. You can run it on your home computer.

-It allows you to create a VPN server at your home or office or where ever you like.

-The point of that is so you can access resources on your home/office network as if you where at home. Or create Site-to-Site VPN tunnels such as connecting 2 business location so the employees can share resources as if they were in the same location. Also the connection is encrypted so the traffic is safe.

-If you are using a public WiFi hotspot you can connect to your home/office Softether VPN server and your info should be safe.
Many people do the same thing to protect their traffic, but they connect to a paid for VPN service like express VPN, NORD VPN, and some IPSs have there own VPNs for their customers when they are away form home to encrypt the traffic so other people using the same public WIFI hotspot can't Hack them.

-Softether server is based on Ehternet Over HTTPS-SSL VPN protocol.. I think softether is the only VPN software that uses it, which makes it unique.
A SoftEther client is used for connecting to a Softether server using the Ehternet Over HTTPS-SSL VPN protocol.
-However the Softether server software can also replicate for convenience other common VPN Protocols ( OpenVPN,L2tp/Ipsec, MSS-SSTP)
So you can connect with mobile devices like Phones, native windows VPN clients, and OpenVpn clients.

-Many routers offer the same type of VPN server options such as a linux VPN server you mentioned but using different VPN protocols.

-It sounds like what you want to do is just mask your internet IP address that your ISP issues you so it looks like your at another Geographic location in the world or so your not able to be traced.

-VPNGATE which is a plugin for softether (BUT IS NOT THE SAME Project as SoftEther) allows this option using volunteer servers around the world but they DO log all traffic and warn the user that if any illegal activity occurs they will help any authority.

-Sounds like you need a paid for VPN service like "express VPN", "NORDvpn" there are hundreds of services like out there.

starbadge

Post by starbadge » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:34 am

@centeredki69 thanks for the awesome reply.
i am now well educated and understand much much better what softether is.
it sounds awesome

yes... you kinda got what i want to do.
VPNGATE sounds pretty good.
BUT... i need a dedicated IP not a shared one.

so the VPNs mentioned are no good if shared. and dedicated fresh new IP addresses cost $10 a month. the problem is when you need many IP addresses - that could end up costing loooads.

doesn't matter who else i am traced by (i have no concerns) - just don't want to be traced and tracked by the website i am connecting to.
(using a separate independent IP is just one of many other measures u need to take)
not doing anything illegal. nothing to hide at all.
the website i'm connecting to is a wild west - users are slaves - who get abused and kicked around + a place where criminals run rife manipulating the system. i was a loyal (abused and kicked about and punished regularly) user for 10+ years. then one day they kicked me off. no reason. no appeal. after spending hours and hours on the phone i gave up. now i coach others and help others - but need to keep accounts separate.

i'll look into further.

QUESTION: i always asked myself... how would i setup a VPN service?
is using SoftEther a starting point? i guess i need a dedicated server as well? and then, how does one get multiple IP addresses?

thanks.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 am

So what are you waning to do?

1) Are you wanting connect to a VAN server at another location in the world?

2) Or are you wanting to host you own VPN SERVER so other people can connect to it?