connecting to LAN while on VPN?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
xodc

connecting to LAN while on VPN?

Post by xodc » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 pm

I have a Windows client connecting to a remote VPN hosted on AWS. The VPN uses SecureNAT and doesn't use local bridging.

From my client, when I connect to the VPN, I can no longer use some parts of my local network. For example, I can still type 192.168.0.101 to access another computer, but I can't access that computer by putting in its hostname.

What can I do to resolve this?

centeredki69

Re: connecting to LAN while on VPN?

Post by centeredki69 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Hello xodc,

On the client highlight the connection used to connect to the AWS VPN. Right click and choose "properties". Then choose " advanced settings" in the lower right. Then check the box also in the lower right ''No adjustment to routing tables"

See if that helps.

xodc

Post by xodc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:19 am

centeredki69 wrote:
> Hello xodc,
>
> On the client highlight the connection used to connect to the AWS VPN.
> Right click and choose "properties". Then choose " advanced
> settings" in the lower right. Then check the box also in the lower
> right ''No adjustment to routing tables"
>
> See if that helps.

Thanks! That did seem to help for a while. But somehow, after a day it reverted back to not being able to access parts of the LAN. For example, here you can see how the IP address for a local NAS changes

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.12.54 AM.png[/attachment][attachment=1]Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.12.51 AM.png[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 am

How did the client PC resolve the hostname on the local network?

I don't recommend to enable ''No adjustment to routing tables" option.
Usually, the VPN client keeps the route to the VPN server before the VPN connecting.
However, the option disables this behavior.