Help needed with connecting with Android client

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Unleavened

Help needed with connecting with Android client

Post by Unleavened » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:19 am

Hello!
Just to clear up before anything, I'm quite new to SoftEther VPN. I have set up my VPN server (kind of, Site to Site is still not working, but I'll keep that for another topic), and my Bridge. I have two virtual hub, for two of my networks. Now as I said before, site to site is not working, as I have not set up IP routing yet, and I have some trouble with it, but with the client I can connect to either of the virtual hubs and be apart of either of the two of my networks. However, I wish to connect from an Android device, and this is where I am getting trouble, and I have some questions. So I have followed the documentation (https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... ient_Setup), but some things are unclear. So after going ahead and adding the VPN server in Android, it asks me for some details, such as the name, type, server address, etc. So my questions are the following:

1.) I'm running my VPN server on a single, unusual port for security. Do I need to include this port in the server address field? Do I need to add another port dedicated for the L2TP protocol?
2.) Is the L2TP secret the same as the IPSec pre-shared key?
3.) Do I need to leave the IPSec identifier blank, or where can I set this inside the VPN Server Manager?
4.) I don't understand the forwarding routes. Does this have to be 0.0.0.0/0 in all cases, or do I need to input the virtual interface of the virtual hub I'm connecting to? Inside the Layer 3 Switch settings, I have a single hub, called "Main", which if I edit, there are two virtual interfaces and the routing tables are blank. One of the virtual interfaces is for the hub I want to connect to on my phone. It has the IP address 192.168.0.254. Does this have to do anything with the forwarding routes on my phone? Do I need to input something like 192.168.0.0/24 ?

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help me out. Thanks again, have a nice day!

centeredki69

Re: Help needed with connecting with Android client

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 pm

1.) I'm running my VPN server on a single, unusual port for security. Do I need to include this port in the server address field? Do I need to add another port dedicated for the L2TP protocol?
Answer: you must activate the L2Tp option on the SE server.
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... VPN_Server
Choose the encrypted option only. Choose the HUB you would like to be the default unless the android client specifies one. Enter pre-shared key at bottom You also need to forward UDP Ports 4500 & 500 ON YOUR ROUTER to the machine that has the SE server software installed or it will not work!
On android Device***************************
Name = whatever you want to call the connection, Type= L2TP/IPsec PSK, Server address= Whatever will get you to you WAN ip address (DynamicDNS or IP), L2TP secret= BLANK, IPsec identifier = BLANK, pres-hared key = what you choose above when setting the server(default is "VPN")
LEAVE all advanced option BLANK. They should populate via the DHCP server when the connection is established.

Unleavened

Re: Help needed with connecting with Android client

Post by Unleavened » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm

I would like to thank you very much for your reply. It is working perfectly. I quite like the SoftEther VPN software, and I am interested in learning it. I'm not saying that documentation is bad, but it could be improved a lot, so if I don't understand something and have more questions, I will make sure to post it here, on the forums. Thank you once again, and have a nice day!