Open VPN / Firestick & SoftEther

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Duffgen

Open VPN / Firestick & SoftEther

Post by Duffgen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello everybody,
I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction to solve a frustrating, but easily remedied (I'm sure!) issue I have.
I am trying to use OpenVPN on an Amazon FireStick, to access my SoftEther vpn. I cannot seem to get a relevant .ovpn file onto the Firestick, to enable OpenVPN to access my VPN. Every other device I have, can connect without any issues.
If there's another option for a client-side app, I'm willing to try it, but only if it will enable me to connect to my own VPN
Thanks in advance.

Duffgen

Re: Open VPN / Firestick & SoftEther

Post by Duffgen » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 pm

This is how I managed to get my FireStick to access my SoftEther server.

Install & configure SoftEther VPN Server.

Open Softether VPN Server manager, and click on Connect.
From the following screen, "Manage VPN Server yourSoftEtherServer", click the OpenVPN/MS-SSTP Setting button. On the subsequent screen, click on the button in the centre, "Generate a Sample Configuration File For OpenVPN Clients. An archive file will be created, containing 4 files, including 2 .ovpn files.

Depending on the requirement, select the relevant .ovpn file to upload to the Firestick.
yourSoftEtherServer_openvpn_remote_access_l3.ovpn, for remote access, or yourSoftEtherServer_openvpn_site_to_site_bridge_l2.ovpn for onsite access.
It may need amending to change "proto udp", to "proto TCP". The next entry would then need to reflect the relevant TCP port being used, ie if your server is listening on port xyz. You may need to remove the .v4 in the remote server.

remote yourSoftEtherServer.v4.softether.net 1194
becomes
remote yourSoftEtherServer.softether.net xyz

Install ES file Explorer on the Firestick. Via ES File Explorer, enable FTP access to the FireStick. Using the FTP address from ES File Explorer, using a computer connected to the same WiFI as the FireStick, access the FireStick, and copy the .ovpn to the device, making a note of the directory to which the .ovpn file is uploaded.
Install OpenVPN on the FireStick. Open the program, and import the .ovpn file from the directory noted in the previous step.