Connection possibly not encrypted with an active VPN session

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
erion

Connection possibly not encrypted with an active VPN session

Post by erion » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:27 am

Hello,
I've just installed and configured the SoftEther VPN server. I was able to connect to it via LTP/IpSec and my IP changes according to http://whatismyip.org. If I, however, connect to the same VPN server, running a php script which displays the IP address of the received connection, I get my regular, non-VPN IP address.
Does this mean that the server detects that the client is connecting to a local machine inside the VPN and disables encryption, essentially making the connection visible, if the client is monitored?
I am running the SoftEther VPN server and other services on the same computer and I would rather not expose client connections on the source side.
Any information on this would be fantastic.

Cheers,
Erion

moatazelmasry

Re: Connection possibly not encrypted with an active VPN ses

Post by moatazelmasry » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Where exactly is this php script running?

erion

Post by erion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot give out web addresses, but any web server that returns an IP address will work.

To reiterate, if the server you are connecting to is also the VPN server, it seems like that the connection is not encrypted, i.e. SoftEther exposes the connecting client. This is sometimes an issue, which, I believe, should be documented.

Erion

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:18 am

Which client do you use?
Please try to change default gateway IP address to VPN side IP address on VPN client.