Softether on EC2: fileshares not working with native L2TP

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
jan

Softether on EC2: fileshares not working with native L2TP

Post by jan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am

Hi,
I have Softether Server running on a EC2 instance with Windows Server 2012 R2 which is in a VPC.
To be able to connect via L2TP/IPsec I had to enable SecureNAT with virtual DHCP. Otherwise I wasn't able to connect.

The Problem is, when I connect from a client using the Softether client software, the VPN connection is established and I can browse fileshares without problems.
However, when I use the native builtin VPN L2TP/IPsec connection of Windows or OS X, then I can establish the VPN connection but fileshares aren't accessable.

As I have clients on both Windows AND OS X, I can't use the Softether client because there is no client for OS X and it is recommended to use the native OS X L2TP/IPsec VPN. But when I use the native VPN of OS X, the fileshares (smb://myserver.address) are not found. The same is on Windows with the native VPN (\\myserver.address) is not found. Even though on both platforms the connection is established successfully.

This problem does not exists when I use the Softether client software on Windows. Then I can successfully access the fileshares with \\myserver.address.

What can I do to get the fileshares on my EC2 Windows instance to work while using the native OS VPN tools?

Any help appreciated.

jan

Re: Softether on EC2: fileshares not working with native L2T

Post by jan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Anyone?
I've tried every tutorial and suggestions on the web for 3 days now and still can't get it to work.
You people from the softether forum are my last hope.

If you need more specific information then please let me know.
Thanks

thisjun

Re: Softether on EC2: fileshares not working with native L2T

Post by thisjun » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 am

Is myserver.address global or local IP address?
Is it domain name or numeric IP address?

If the file sharing server is VPN server itself, the server should have local IP address to access via VPN.
Please try install SoftEther VPN Client on the server and connect to the VPN server.