Encryption Algorithm doesnt change for the Client

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
simonderschulze

Encryption Algorithm doesnt change for the Client

Post by simonderschulze » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi,
I have a Sofether VPN Running in bridged mode and im very happy with it. It runs on a Win Server 2012 r2 the Softether VPN Server Manager 4.22.
In terms of Security i wanted to change the Encrytion Algoritm the users connect to my server to a different one from rc4-md5.
If I change the Encryption Algorithm in my Server settings (Encryption and Network Settings), it doesnt change anything on the client Connection. It just stays the same old default algorithm no matter which one i choose on the server.
I tried to reboot the server but it didnt help.
Can anyone help me on this issue?

I added a scrrenshot of my settings.

I would really appreciate

BG

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spoffy

Re: Encryption Algorithm doesnt change for the Client

Post by Spoffy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Bump. I just had this issue on a completely different platform: I'm running a Linux server and Linux client, both copies of SoftEther built locally.

However, for every setting of cipher on the server, the client always reports its using RC4-MD5.

Is this is a known issue?

Spoffy

Post by Spoffy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I've now solved the issue: The Server and Client supported different ciphers, so they ended up falling back to RC4-MD5 without any warning.

I've sorted it now, maybe there should be a warning when it's not able to use the requested cipher? Or even just refuse to connect?

simonderschulze

Post by simonderschulze » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 pm

I can just get No Encryption or RC4-MD5, no matter what i choose on the Server Manager,
Does someone know if this is a known issue, should i maybe try a different Version of the VPN Server Manager?
I would apprciate a lot!
BG
Simon

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am

Did you use VPN Azure?
Only RC4-MD5 is used on VPN Azure.