Can't connect server manager after rebooting server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
rwebb616

Can't connect server manager after rebooting server

Post by rwebb616 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:49 am

SoftEther is running on CentOS 6.6 x64 editon. I'm not sure where to get the version number of SoftEther.

SoftEther has been running fine right along and then today I needed to shut the server down that it was running on. I entered the command to stop the server (./vpnserver stop) and waited for it to stop then issued "poweroff" to the server.

Once the server came back up I issued the start command (./vpnserver start) and the server started successfully but when attempting to connect with Server Manager which has my admin password stored, it repeatedly prompts me for my password.

I created a new server to get it running for now but I renamed the old directory so I could troubleshoot this.

I don't have an init script created. I simply go in and start the vpnserver when I boot up the server.

Creating a new server worked but now I don't have all my users. I don't know if I can copy all those from the old config file or not?

Rich

rwebb616

Re: Can't connect server manager after rebooting server

Post by rwebb616 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Can anyone help me troubleshoot what went wrong here? I can post some files if necessary - just don't know where to start to find out what happened.

rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Okay so apparently there is nobody to help with issues - just people to post them. I guess I'm on my own.

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Just copy the "byte HashedPassword XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" value from your new config to your old one, and replace the new with the old. Now you should have your old config with your new (well known) password.

rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:40 am

Ok that would be good information to know for recovering a password but this was not a password issue. This was an install that was only about 2 weeks old and I had been in many times creating new users and doing maintenance and the admin password was saved in my server manager. After shutting down the server and bringing it back up something happened (which is where I need help troubleshooting) and the server would no longer allow me to connect.

Rich

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 am

SoftEther VPN backups configuration file periodically in executable directory.

rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:18 am

I figured out what happened. There were multiple copies of softether and I was running the wrong one. I've since deleted all other copies and created a startup script for the proper one so it runs at startup.

Rich