VPN Client (lot of?) data traffic

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
JoseATG

VPN Client (lot of?) data traffic

Post by JoseATG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Hello everybody! I am Jose Antonio.
I am working in a project using the SoftEther VPN Client 4.0 in a Windows 10 PC. With a packet analyser (Wireshark), I have seen there are "lot of" data traffic from my computer IP to a public IP (belonging to SoftEther) and vice-versa. Most of the traffic is made with UDP packets, even if I do not send/receive data.
My problem is it can generate lot of traffic for my connection, and I have some restrictions about data consumption. Is this "idle" traffic normal in the VPN client? Is there any way to reduce or minimise this traffic?

Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Jose A.
:geek:

thisjun

Re: VPN Client (lot of?) data traffic

Post by thisjun » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:08 am

>public IP (belonging to SoftEther)

What does this mean? SoftEther VPN Server or Client or SoftEther corp?

JoseATG

Post by JoseATG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:49 am

Hello.
When I check the 'Host Name' parameter in the client connection properties (like "vpnXXXX.softether.net") the corresponding IP address (public) is owned by Microsoft. Anyway, I think this is the SoftEther server platform, isn't it?
I have connected my PC, and there is packet interchange every 2 or 3 seconds continuosly. Protocols used are 'TCP' and 'TLSv1.2'. I guess maybe like a 'keep alive' or 'beacon' messages.
You can see my client configuration in attached image:

[attachment=0]vpn_client_config.png[/attachment]

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards,
Jose A.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:02 am

softether.net domain is used for Dynamic DNS.
That address is not for SoftEther, it is the address of the owner of the VPN server you are connecting to.
If you are using the VPN Gate service, it should be a server that provided by someone volunteers.

JoseATG

Post by JoseATG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:41 am

Hi.
If I understand, "vpnXXXXX.softether.net" is only a domain name used to map the real IP address (which I captured), isn't it?
So, I do not know if it is "normal" this traffic of TCP/TLSv1.2 messages between my client and the server? If there any way to decrease this data rate form the client side?
▼ See attached image of an example capture ▼
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards,
Jose A.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 am

It seems not so much traffic.
It's same as normal LAN traffic.