Can't connect to any server from China

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
rollingscissors

Re: Can't connect to any server from China

Post by rollingscissors » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 am

I have been able to connect on OpenVPN or L2TP/IPSEC about 50% of the servers. The LT2P instructions are a bit flawed! I don't set anything for forwarding routes. Using "vpn" for the shared secret sometimes wotks and sometimes does not.

It appears the servers are not uniformly configured. That plus the GFW blocks popular servers in a matter of hours. You must subscribe to the mirror emails and get fresh servers before going under crypto.

rollingscissors

Re: Can't connect to any server from China

Post by rollingscissors » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:44 am

A brief update. The Chinese do not take much time to detect and block OpenVPN connections, typically starting games within 15 minutes and fully blocking the server IP after a few hours. Strangely, some servers escape blockage for a whole day.

It is well worth the effort to get the freshest servers, which have been up for three hours or less. I save time by using the unofficial mirror / OpenVPN configs list at http://mofolinux.com/vpngate.html and clicking on them all. Usually a few will work for me.

Until OpenVPN developers get serious about obfuscation, servers will be detected and blocked quickly.