Curious: Is it really possible to use a vpn gate to bypass the current (2023/06) Great Firewall of China?

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
uafpzdck

Curious: Is it really possible to use a vpn gate to bypass the current (2023/06) Great Firewall of China?

Post by uafpzdck » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:00 pm

I have come across a lots of articles that highly praise VPN Gate for its ability to bypass the firewall in China. The only drawback mentioned is its occasional slowness. However, upon closer inspection of the publication dates of these articles, most of them were written prior to 2019. Even the more recent articles seem to be reiterations of previous ones.

This is the aspect that concerns me because in October 2019 and October 2022, the firewall in China underwent two upgrades. The first upgrade equipped the firewall with the ability to identify obfuscated information, while the second upgrade was even more comprehensive, employing a whitelist approach to completely block encrypted data that does not meet the specified criteria. Based on my limited understanding, it appears that VPN Gate has not undergone any updates since then. According to information obtained from their official website, VPN Gate utilizes the SSL-VPN (SoftEther VPN) protocol, L2TP/IPsec protocol, OpenVPN protocol, and Microsoft SSTP protocol for communication. However, these protocols were already recognized and blocked by the Chinese firewall as of 2019.

Therefore, can I infer that VPN Gate no longer possesses the capability to bypass the firewall in China? I wonder if anyone has relevant information to address my doubts. Thank you.