Many VPN Gate servers no longer work with default Tunnelblick OpenVPN version

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Jonukas

Many VPN Gate servers no longer work with default Tunnelblick OpenVPN version

Post by Jonukas » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:55 am

Hi,

I just upgraded to Tunnelblick 4.0 and noticed that it no longer works with any of the VPN Gate servers I use. I believe the problem is that all the servers I use are using

Code: Select all

cipher AES-128-CBC
. The Tunnelblick log shows:

OPTIONS ERROR: failed to negotiate cipher with server.  Add the server's cipher ('AES-128-CBC') to --data-ciphers (currently 'AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:CHACHA20-POLY1305') if you want to connect to this server.
But if I change the configuration for these servers to use OpenVPN 2.5.9, it works. The Tunnelblick 4 page says:
If you can connect only with one or more of the other versions, your VPN setup relies on insecure algorithms or programs. Future versions of Tunnelblick will not include these algorithms and programs. Contact your VPN service provider and have them update the VPN to be compatible with OpenVPN 2.6, which is the current version of OpenVPN, and OpenSSL 3.0, which is the Long Term Support version of OpenSSL.

If the VPN does not connect with OpenVPN 2.6.9 - OpenSSL 3.0.13 or OpenVPN 2.6.9 - OpenSSL 1.1.1w, try OpenVPN 2.5.9 and 2.4.12. If it connects with one of them, contact whoever gave you your VPN configurations. The configurations require an out-of-date version of OpenVPN and should be updated.

At some point Tunnelblick will no longer include OpenVPN 2.5.9 and 2.4.12. They are no longer supported by OpenVPN. Your VPN setup should be updated to be compatible with the current version, 2.6.
Just FYI. Thank you for this service.

solo

Re: Many VPN Gate servers no longer work with default Tunnelblick OpenVPN version

Post by solo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:13 am

VPN Gate servers do work with OpenVPN v2.6.x when client's config is changed:

#cipher AES-128-CBC
data-ciphers AES-128-CBC