SoftEther VPN client running on Ubuntu12.04

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
MASATERU KUWATA

SoftEther VPN client running on Ubuntu12.04

Post by MASATERU KUWATA » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:57 am

Dear Sir,

I have downloaded SoftEther VPN client for Linux and installed on Ubuntu12.04 running in VirtualBox. It seems working, but some questions came up. I created virtual network card named as "vnic" and ifconfig showes a new interface with a name of "vpn_vnic" (seems like virtual connection name "vpn" and virtual card name "vnic" are combined together?). Ifconfig does not show any IP virtual IP address assigned to that card while I can ping to other VPN clients.

I tried and tried to find what IP address (supposed to be given by DHCP funtction in VPN server) is assigned to "vpn_vnic", but couldn't.

Can anyone tell me how to confirm the assigned virtual IP address on Ubuntu12.04?

Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MASATERU KUWATA

Re: SoftEther VPN client running on Ubuntu12.04

Post by MASATERU KUWATA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 am

MASATERU KUWATA wrote:

Additional information - I tested some more detail on this setup and found the followings;

1. VPN client is working correctly without any interface/IP address defined. It can ping to other hosts which joined this VPN.

2. When I started vpnclient, then "vpn_vnic" became visible as an interface. However, it has still no IP address assigned. By using dhclient, it received an dynamic IP address from VPN server (DHCP). A static IP can also be assigned by ifconfig command.

Regards

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have downloaded SoftEther VPN client for Linux and installed on
> Ubuntu12.04 running in VirtualBox. It seems working, but some questions
> came up. I created virtual network card named as "vnic" and
> ifconfig showes a new interface with a name of "vpn_vnic" (seems
> like virtual connection name "vpn" and virtual card name
> "vnic" are combined together?). Ifconfig does not show any IP
> virtual IP address assigned to that card while I can ping to other VPN
> clients.
>
> I tried and tried to find what IP address (supposed to be given by DHCP
> funtction in VPN server) is assigned to "vpn_vnic", but couldn't.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to confirm the assigned virtual IP address on
> Ubuntu12.04?
>
> Best regards