Unknown config issue- no native VPN clients can connect

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
volvo64

Unknown config issue- no native VPN clients can connect

Post by volvo64 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Hello,

I have installed and configured a SoftEther VPN server on a Server 2012 machine running on Hyper-V. I believe I have installed and configured the server correctly; however none of my machines can connect to the server using their native clients. I have tried connecting via L2TP from OS X (10.9), iOS (7.0.5) and Windows 7, and while everything seems to resolve to the server and the server sees the session, a successful connection is never made. I receive a number of errors from the Windows 7 client, such as 734, 720, and 800. The OSX client isn't specific with its errors. However, I am able to successfully connect using the SoftEther client on Windows 7.

I believe that this may be an issue with promiscuous mode on the NIC in Hyper-V. To the best of my knowledge I have enabled promiscuous mode for this VM by following this link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 012-hyperv
But, I don't know how to test if that is actually the case or not. I also haven't found out with certainty that Hyper-V 2012 supports promiscuous mode.

I have taken a look at the logs and I see errors, but the errors don't tell me much. I have pasted the relevant portion here:
Acquiring an IP address from the DHCP server failed. To accept a PPP session, you need to have a DHCP server. Make sure that a DHCP server is working normally in the Ethernet segment which the Virtual Hub belongs to. If you do not have a DHCP server, you can use the Virtual DHCP function of the SecureNAT on the Virtual Hub instead.

Now, there is DHCP on the network, and the DHCP server is on the same segment as the ethernet adapter bound to the VPN server. So I don't know if this is actually the problem or not.

Any insight would be appreciated.

volvo64

Re: Unknown config issue- no native VPN clients can connect

Post by volvo64 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Yesterday, I got a native IP address using the SoftEther client (10.100.x.x, which is what my network uses).

Just now, I enabled the virtual NAT/DHCP function and reconnected with that, and it gave me an address on the vDHCP server (192.168.30.x). However, the native clients still can't connect.

volvo64

Re: Unknown config issue- no native VPN clients can connect

Post by volvo64 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:24 pm

OK, I just noticed that my local bridge status is offline. I do not know why that would be the case. I believe I set it up correctly. I started investigating that. I have two vNICs on this VM. When I go to create a bridge, I am only shown one. So I have rebooted the server as is recommended. Now, I can see the second NIC (which I have disabled all protocols on), and I created a bridge to that NIC and it came in to Operating status. I still could not connect. I followed the instructions in section 3.6.6 to forcefully disable promiscuous mode, but that still did not help.