Slow performance with SoftEther

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
rizwan602

Slow performance with SoftEther

Post by rizwan602 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Hello,

I am experiencing slow performance with SoftEther. I have done a LOT of testing and I just can't seem to make it go faster.

I have installed SoftEther on many different servers. I have VPS servers with Dreamhost, DME Hosting. I also have dedicated servers with Dreamhost and Secured Servers LLC.

All of these VPS'es and dedicated servers have 1 Gbps uplink. I an SSH into the server and do speed tests (via HTTP get) and I get on average 50 MegaBYTES (yes megabytes) per second transfer speed. I also get the same speeds uploading test files. So speed is not the issue here.

At work we have a 50 Mbps connection. I can connect to other VPN providers (such as StrongVPN and using PPTP or L2TP) and get close to 50 Mbps speed.

But when I connect to my SoftEther servers, I only get maybe 15 Mbps speed. On all of the VPS and dedicated servers where I have installed SoftEther.

When I start a download test file, I only get maybe 7 Mbps. To get to 15 I have to start multiple download files. With StrongVPN I get close to 50 Mbps with a single download file.

I am using L2TP with no IPSEC. I am also using SecureNAT.

Can anyone help me with what is wrong with speed? I really need to be able to connect near the full speed of our internet speeds at work. Is there a configuration issue, or a setting in the virtual hub I can change? I tried changing tcpmsssize flag but no difference.

Thank you for your help.

Rizwan

thisjun

Re: Slow performance with SoftEther

Post by thisjun » Wed May 14, 2014 6:05 am

SecureNAT is not fast. I recommend using LocalBridge

qupfer

Re: Slow performance with SoftEther

Post by qupfer » Wed May 14, 2014 7:39 am

thisjun wrote:
> SecureNAT is not fast. I recommend using LocalBridge

I like this tutorial: http://07q.de/tut2