VPN Client IP in Session Status

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mstenz

VPN Client IP in Session Status

Post by mstenz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi,

why only the VPN Server Ip and not the IP the client got is showed in the Session Status? This is a really important information both to the client and also to the server administrator, so it will be really great if that can be shown in that dialog both on client and server.
thx.

rgds.

Michael

dnobori

Re: VPN Client IP in Session Status

Post by dnobori » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:20 pm

The IP address of VPN client is shown on the first line of the session status screen. Please look it again.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi,

for me not. In the whole list there is no client ip visible.

Iam using 4.06

rgds.

Michael

dnobori

Post by dnobori » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi,

In my VPN server manager, the client IP address is shown as the attached screen shot.

Your VPN server manager does not show this information?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi,

on Serverside it shows me the public IP of the client. But I need the IP assigned by the DHCP-Server.

And on Client-side i need also the ip assigned by DHCP-Server (or if not assigned whats configured in the VPN connection settings)

This is an important info both for the client and the server administrator.
I see that in the DHCP lease overview I can see the assigned ip's, but there only next to the "clients hostname" but i then also don't know which softether account is used for that login.

rgds.

Michael

dnobori

Post by dnobori » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:54 pm

You can see the assigned IP address of a selected VPN session, by clicking the "IP Table of Selected Session" button.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you. I found it. Really helpfull.

I think it will be very helpfull to have that information also in the other session information tables visible (both for the client and the server).

Do you think that can be implemented in some future releases?

BTW: I also see that for all sessions both IP4 and IP6 addresses where registered? Is this done because IP6 is enabled in the client adapter?

dnobori

Post by dnobori » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Sorry, I am not planning to show the assigned IP address(es) on the Session Status window.
This decision is by design. The Session Status windows shows only the underlying VPN tunnel data. This window does not contain any the overlying VPN payload.

If you can find IPv6 address in the IP address table, it means that your VPN client adapter has been using an IPv6 address. Windows Vista or later operating systems has built-in IPv6 stack and it is enabled by default. Notmally, the IPv6 address is a Link-Local IPv6 address, which starts with "fe80::". It is not a global IPv6 address.