Using Softether VPN for hosting LAN Games

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Wolfseye

Using Softether VPN for hosting LAN Games

Post by Wolfseye » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:47 am

Hi guys,

i just wanted to ask, if I wanna use Softether to host/play LAN Games with my friends, what exactly would I need to install to run it purely from my PC ? I suppose the SoftEther Server part, right ? And which way do I set it up. With stuff like Remote Connect or Bridge or all these things. I don't know which would be suited to use Softether for that purpose.

If anyone could help me a bit, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Wolfseye

rizwan602

Re: Using Softether VPN for hosting LAN Games

Post by rizwan602 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:10 am

The easiest way to do this is to use Logmein Hamachi. You can install the Hamachi client on all PC's and they will all be assigned on the same subnet.

I do not know how to do this in SoftEther if you want to use that only.

Good luck!

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:53 am

I know, bur i am not a fan of Hamachi. Used it years ago. By now only use Tunngle. But sometimes i would prefer to not rely on some other tools server but do it myself. Hence the question about how it would work with Softether VPN Server and that.

But thanks.

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 pm

> if I wanna use Softether to host/play LAN Games with
> my friends, what exactly would I need to install to run it purely from my
> PC ? I suppose the SoftEther Server part, right ?

Yes.

> And which way do I set it up. With stuff like Remote Connect or Bridge or all these things.

The PC hosting the game runs the SoftEther server, and every other PC runs the SoftEther client. Try to keep the game on TUN/TAP interfaces instead of bridging a physical interface.

Ideally, the SoftEther server would have a port forwarding from the gateway to one of its listening ports like 5555. If this isn't possible, then you can use the VPN Azure feature instead.

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 pm

dajhorn wrote:
> > if I wanna use Softether to host/play LAN Games with
> > my friends, what exactly would I need to install to run it purely from my
> > PC ? I suppose the SoftEther Server part, right ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > And which way do I set it up. With stuff like Remote Connect or Bridge or all
> these things.
>
> The PC hosting the game runs the SoftEther server, and every other PC runs the
> SoftEther client. Try to keep the game on TUN/TAP interfaces instead of bridging a
> physical interface.
>
> Ideally, the SoftEther server would have a port forwarding from the gateway to one of
> its listening ports like 5555. If this isn't possible, then you can use the VPN
> Azure feature instead.

Ok, I got it working but I in fact create a bridge. How can I change that ? As for TAP, it says there in the settings that this is only for Linux supported. So how can I change away from the Bridge (so the connected clients don't have my internet and IP :) ) and still make it work with the LAN ?

Any detailed info about that is appreciated. ;)

Wolfseye

P.S.: As it is right now, they get my (real) IP when they connect to my VPN Server. So when they go into their Browser, they have my origin country for Google for example. That must somehow work to go around that, right ? In other VPN Tools like Tunngle and Hamachi user also don't get another (real) IP when they are connected. How can I change that ?

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Which Option do I need to choose when installing the Server ?

https://www.softether.org/@api/deki/fil ... =ss5.2.jpg

"[b]Remote Access[/b]"

or

"[b]Site-to-Site VPN Server or Bridge[/b]"

I used the 2nd, which was probably the wrong one for hosting Games or stuff like that, right ?

Wolfseye

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Wolfseye wrote:
>
> Ok, I got it working but I in fact create a bridge. How can I change that ? As for
> TAP, it says there in the settings that this is only for Linux supported.

The interfaces that are created by clicking "Virtual Adapter -> New Virtual Network Adapter" in the SoftEther VPN Client Manager for Windows are the same thing as Linux TAP interfaces.

> So how can I change away from the Bridge (so the connected clients don't have my internet and IP
> :) ) and still make it work with the LAN ?

Keep the bridged configuration if it is working property. Now do this:

1. Open the Server Manager and select the virtual hub.
2. Click the "Manage Virtual Hub" button.
3. Click the "Manage Access Lists" button.
4. Click the "New (IPv4)" button.

Now, assuming that the LAN is using the private 192.168.1.0/24 address block, create these two rules:

5a.
* Pass
* Priority = 1000
* Source IP Address, Applies to All Destinations = off
* Source IP Address, IPv4 Address = 192.168.1.0
* Source IP Address, IPv4 Address = 255.255.255.0
* Destination IP Address, Applies to All Destinations = off
* Destination IP Address, IPv4 Address = 192.168.1.0
* Destination IP Address, IPv4 Address = 255.255.255.0

5b.
* Discard
* Priority = 2000

6. Tell your remote users to disable the "use default gateway on remote network" option in the TCP/IP properties for the VPN connection.

Note that this kind of configuration still has the limitations of bridging a physical interface, primarily that SoftEther clients may not be able to see network services that are running on the bridged interface.

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:42 pm

6. Tell your remote users to disable the "use default gateway on remote network" option in the TCP/IP properties for the VPN connection.

Where would that be in the SoftEther VPN Client ? Don't seet that option.
And thanks in advance. ;)

Wolfseye

P.S: We only found this option when using a VPN connection created with Windows. Not if someone uses the SoftEther VPN Client. There is no such setting with the adapter.

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:10 am

I don't get it working. Seems I am too stupid for that, just can't make it working that connected clients also end up having my IP and my internet connection on their PC. Seems I have to get back to using Tools like Tunngle or Hamachi, although I hoped getting around that. Too bad. Thanks though.

Wolfseye

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Well, got it working, but not enough. The client now has his own IP adress (although there is no such Settings about Standard Gateway in the Softether VPN Client Adapter settings, unlike when you create a VPN Adapter with Windows itself then there is such a setting!). Even tried with Teamspeak, that works. But Games with LAN, Games I know work with Tools like Tunngle, Hamachi etc. don't show up with the use of Softether VPN Server. Why is that ? Is that tool absolutely NOT suited for that use ?

Wolfseye

Wolfseye

Post by Wolfseye » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:27 pm

I have to admit that the whole VPN Server and host Games over it was not very successful and we gave it up in the end. As it turns out, most Games don't recognize a Server hosting behind such VPN Servers. Ultimately I have to say that the only thing that really universally works, with all the Games that are able to do LAN, is Tunngle. Hate to rely on other Services.

I am sure SoftEther VPN Server is good for many things, however hosting Games isn't one of them. But it was an experience.

Wolfseye

myopenid

Post by myopenid » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Are you hosting the VPN Server on a linux machine? If that's the case, just turn off NAT and you're good.

dx486

Post by dx486 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Hello

We have managed to find a Softether VPN server configuration for gaming, but I need a different configuration and it does not work. I am looking for help. Let me summarize...

This is working:
Server runs Softether VPN server on a VPS
Client 1 runs Virtualbox, Host OSX 10.9, Guest Win XP SP3, OpenVPN GUI, TUN config (L3)
Client 2 runs Virtualbox, Arch Linux, Guest Win XP SP3, OpenVPN GUI, TUN config (L3)
Game: Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Both clients obtain virtual local IP from VPN server and game can establish TCP connection.

This is not working:
Server runs Softether VPN server on a VPS
Client 1 runs Win XP SP3, OpenVPN GUI, TUN config (L3) or TAP config (L2) (tried both)
Client 2 runs Win 7, OpenVPN GUI, TUN config (L3) or TAP config (L2) (tried both)
Game: Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Both clients obtain virtual local IP from VPN server but game cannot establish TCP connection.

Can you help please?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:26 am

Could you check logs of VPN server and client?