DNS Leak when using OpenVPN Connect for Android (& iOS)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
NickelFS

DNS Leak when using OpenVPN Connect for Android (& iOS)

Post by NickelFS » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:40 am

Hello, I've set up a SoftEther VPN server on my dedicated server. It is running on the default configuration (with a few modifications). I don't think the specific config and stuff is necessary for this question. Anyway, I (and possibly others) plan on connecting to this VPN through a smartphone (Android/iOS) when I am on a specific network (which is fairly constricting) in order to access blocked content. I cannot test what the network have blocked at this time. However, I am quite sure that they've blocked most ports (apart from the common ones like 80, 443, etc.), certain domain names from their DNS servers & most public DNS servers (like Google's 8.8.8.8). This means I cannot use L2TP so intead I use the OpenVPN Connect app to connect to the VPN on port 443. This all works fine, but the problem is that my DNS is getting leaked which means that I won't be able to access certain blocked content. I'm trying to figure what the best way to resolve this would be. I do have a BIND server running which I can set-up as a forwarder if necessary but I don't know how to actually make Android/iOS use my forwarder while connected to the VPN. Any ideas would be appreciated (I need this to work for both Android and iOS).

dajhorn

Re: DNS Leak when using OpenVPN Connect for Android (& iOS)

Post by dajhorn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:38 pm

If you are using the official OpenVPN client for Android, then disable the "DNS Fallback" option in the connection preferences for the SoftEther server. There might also be a way to force DNS behavior in the VPN import file.

The DNS forwarder in SoftEther is sometimes unreliable. If you are using SecureNAT, then try setting whatever is in the /etc/resolv.conf file instead of using the SoftEther gateway address.

NickelFS

Re: DNS Leak when using OpenVPN Connect for Android (& iOS)

Post by NickelFS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't use SecureNAT but I've figured it out. I am using dhcpd on "tap_vpn" interface (bridged to my SoftEther hub).

I simply added this to /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf:
> option domain-name-servers 192.168.250.1;
(192.168.250.0/24 is the subnet I'm using for my VPN)

Then, I set up BIND as a forwarder on that IP. I added this to /etc/named.conf:
> listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.250.1; };
> forwarders { 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4; };

Hopefully this helps anyone that is looking to accomplish something similar. And yes, don't forget to disable "DNS Fallback" on the OpenVPN Connect client.