Route Internet locally instead of over VPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
jsquared

Route Internet locally instead of over VPN

Post by jsquared » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Hello,

I've installed the SoftEther VPN server on a machine at a remote location and installed the client on a local machine here. I've got them configured and connected. However, I noticed that all the internet traffic is going over the VPN connection which is slowing the internet to a crawl? On a normal VPN connection in Windows I am able to go in the advanced settings and change this but with SoftEther I'm not sure how to pull this off. Can someone please explain how to do this?

Thanks,
Jeremy

kh_tsang

Re: Route Internet locally instead of over VPN

Post by kh_tsang » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:23 am

Do not push the default route on the VPN Server side(i.e. leave the default gateway empty on the DHCP server settings).

jsquared

Post by jsquared » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:57 pm

@kh_tsang Are you referring to the DHCP Server (SecureNAT) settings in the Virtual Hub management? I don't currently have SecureNAT enabled. Do I need to enable this feature to pull this off?
I've attached a screenshot of the settings I'm referring to.

Thanks,
Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Disable pushing default route on your DHCP server.

If the default route is necessary on that network, add one more virtual hub and filter the DHCP packets flowing through the cascade connection between the two virtual hubs.

jsquared

Post by jsquared » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:26 pm

kh_tsang wrote:
> Disable pushing default route on your DHCP server.
>
> If the default route is necessary on that network, add one more virtual hub
> and filter the DHCP packets flowing through the cascade connection between
> the two virtual hubs.

Ok DHCP needs to be enabled on the network where my VPN server sits and I'm not using the cascade connection at all. All I need is a VPN Server that will talk to 2-4 clients without having to route the internet on the clients through the VPN connection. I want to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks,
Jeremy

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:13 am

This is the simplest way already.

1. Add a user and filter DHCP packets of that user in your existing virtual hub.
2. Add a new virtual hub and add a cascade connection to connect to your existing virtual hub.
3. Enable SecureNAT, disable Virtual NAT, remove the default gateway and use a new DHCP IP range in the new virtual hub.
4. Add VPN users to the new virtual hub.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:56 am

Please increase the metric value of the virtual NIC in the client.

mabaega

Post by mabaega » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:10 pm

jsquared wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:26 pm
kh_tsang wrote:
> Disable pushing default route on your DHCP server.
>
> If the default route is necessary on that network, add one more virtual hub
> and filter the DHCP packets flowing through the cascade connection between
> the two virtual hubs.

Ok DHCP needs to be enabled on the network where my VPN server sits and I'm not using the cascade connection at all. All I need is a VPN Server that will talk to 2-4 clients without having to route the internet on the clients through the VPN connection. I want to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Check this link.
https://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php? ... 039#p91742

tomica

Post by tomica » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:17 pm

For using Internet locally on clients and using VPN only for work network (split tunneling) on SecureNAT Window enable DHCP but clear Default Gateway and for DNS server 1 enter local address of your work network DNS server (e.g. 192.168.0.2). Also on Edit static routing table to push: enter line for work network subnet (192.168.0.x): 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0/192.168.30.1
Reconnect clients.