Slow Download fast upload at home network

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
shervin

Slow Download fast upload at home network

Post by shervin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 am

Hey everyone
I'm not a professional in networking, but just an enthusiastic amateur.

Information: I have set up a softether VPN server (ver. 4.27) on a VPS. I'm using SSL/OpenVPN TCP and UDP protocol with different ports. (443, 1194, 501, 1202, etc.) I use openvpn client on different clients (Android, iPhone, Windows).
With my office and cellular internet everything works fine and the VPN tunnel does not significantly decrease my speed.
Recently I've changed my home ISP and got a PTP internet using MikroTik wireless radios and connect using PPPoE within my router (Linksys WRT1900ACS). My download and upload speed is equal and around 50~60 Mb/s.
I have tested a bunch of 3rd party VPN and proxies such as Cisco Anyconnect and Tunnel+ and SSL Proxy and they all work fine.

VPN Server has SecureNAT enabled.

Problem: When I try to connect to VPN it connects easily with both protocols (TCP and UDP) but then the download speed reaches nearly zero (around 0.2 Mb/s) but the upload speed is around 40~50 Mb/s. I have no problem connecting to VPN using my cellular internet and the speed is OK. I have tried different routers but the outcome is the same. What could be the cause?
My guess is it's either the ISP firewall that is blocking the traffic somehow or a problem with NAT/Routing etc.

I have tried UDP and TCP on different ports but the outcome is the same. Only when I try to connect with TCP 443 the connection drops every now and then and the log says something about keepalive_timeout error.

Please advice.

P.s. I have the same problem with Softether client for windows. Everything is fine elsewhere but on my home network I can't get good download speed.

mrc

Re: Slow Download fast upload at home network

Post by mrc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Sounds quite similar to my problem:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63484

shervin

Post by shervin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, pretty much. Have you found any solution?
Have you tried other softether/open vpn servers?

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi,

No, I still have the issue. I have tried a bit different setups, but no difference. As mentioned in my post, I have separate servers with same type of connection (and very similar config) where I don't have these issues. But these servers are running Ubuntu 16.04LTS and a bit older version of the SoftEther VPN.

That being said, I have used Ubuntu 18.04LTS and newer version of SoftEther VPN Server on the "clients" I have connected. And also - when I connect with a Windows PC using the Windows-client, I still get the performance issue.

With my setup, I have tried bridges on the server with are connected to a SOHO-router and I have tried with direct connection between the network interface on the server and the FTTH-connection. Will also make a new Wireshark-capture and have a second look.

Fwiler

Post by Fwiler » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm a little confused on how you are setup.

When you say VPS, I'm assuming virtual private server? Where is this located, and what OS? Only asking because if this is at your home and you are trying to connect to internet through it from your home, then that could explain some issues and why connecting to it from a different network works fine.

shervin

Post by shervin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm

Hello there,
Thanks for answering.
I have a Digital Ocean Virtual Private Server (VPS) in a remote location (Actually Frankfurt) running Ubuntu 16.04.4 x64 and Softether VPN server (Ver 4.27, Build 9666, beta)

So this is actually not at my home. I'm using this VPN for anti-censorship reasons.

It seems that I get connected without any latency with UDP ports but then suddenly the speed is throttled somehow.

On a side note, 3rd party Openvpn servers also return the same problem so it's either routing problem or my ISP. Please help.

shervin

Post by shervin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:25 pm

new information:
I have prepared an openvpn server running on port 443 TCP and tested it. I've got around 10Mb/s download and around 20Mb/s upload. Still very low. What could be wrong?
Please note that my VPS has 1Gb/s download upload link and the cpu of my vps is almost idle.

cmd wh0ami

Post by cmd wh0ami » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:28 pm

You might want to check what speeds the VPS can actually get without the vpn... I know from running a VPN server at home my throughput is reduced by 50%. But I don't use UDP (although I've tested and UDP isn't any faster than TCP. At least not from my test results). I highly doubt you would get a d/l speed of 1Gb/s if this is a VPS at a remote Data Center.

This link describes how to test VPS network speed.
https://www.vpsserver.com/community/tut ... -you-want/
VPN Discord invite: https://discord.gg/QByKXA9

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am

>shervin
How did you measure the download and upload speed?