L2TP client and server conflict on same PC (SOLVED)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
russellg99

L2TP client and server conflict on same PC (SOLVED)

Post by russellg99 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:49 pm

I'm trying to setup a SoftEther VPN server on my Windows 10 PC using L2TP, and also be able to use the SoftEther VPN client on the same PC to connect to a SoftEther VPN server on a different machine using L2TP. After many headaches and searching I finally found that you can't do that because the client and server on the same PC apparently try to use the same port for L2TP and they conflict with each other.

If I can't run an L2TP client and server on the same PC, what's a good alternative? I understand that PPTP is no longer trustworthy, and I'm new to VPNs so I'm not sure what to use to have a secure system for both incoming and outgoing connections.

Thanks!
Russell
Last edited by russellg99 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russellg99

Re: L2TP client and server conflict on same PC

Post by russellg99 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Followup to my own post above...

Based on the lack of replies here, I'm assuming this problem can't really be fixed. I don't see any way to change the L2TP ports on the client or the server, so it appears that you can't run an L2TP server on the same machine you're trying to use an L2TP client on.

However, since PPTP is not a good option anymore, I found that I could enable OpenVPN support in the SoftEther Server program and use that for incoming connections to my PC. Then I can still use L2TP for outgoing connections to the other server.

For anyone interested in doing that, I'd suggest enabling OpenVPN in the server program (and opening the port in the firewall), and then clicking the button to generate the configuration files for the client. You can then use the .ovpn config file (usually the L3 version) in the OpenVPN client to connect to a server. I was even able to sync the .ovpn file to my iPhone using iTunes, under the "File Sharing" tab, and then use the OpenVPN app on my phone to connect to my PC.

Good luck,
Russell