SoftEther VPN Server Reporting different IP address

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Asokan

SoftEther VPN Server Reporting different IP address

Post by Asokan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:54 am

My router is having a WAN ip assigned to the router by my ISP and the my public IP is different from my WAN ip.

Eg: My WAN ip assigned by the ISP is 100.55.56.54 but when I check my public IP it is 112.111.110.109 SoftEther is reporting 112.111.110.109 as my ip where as it should report 100.55.56.54 for the VPN to work.

After some research online I found out that I am behind CGN (Carrier Grade NAT). This is also known as larger scale NAT. This is used by the ISP to overcome the IPv4 shortage.
Refer this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Therefore SoftEther VPN doesn't work because it is reporting the CGN ip where as it should report my WAN ip instead. Not only SoftEther but, all other services also gets stopped like dynamic DNS etc...

Therefore SoftEther should find a solution to report the dynamic WAN IP that is assigned to the router rather than the CGN public IP.

Please let me know if there is a workaround for this.

Thank you

Asokan

Re: SoftEther VPN Server Reporting different IP address

Post by Asokan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 am

Anyone?? At Least a confirmation of my problem by the experts.....

centeredki69

Re: SoftEther VPN Server Reporting different IP address

Post by centeredki69 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Asokan,
This seems to be a common issue in regard to CGN. There are companies that offer services that help over come this using tunneling and relaying.

Softether has a similar feature built in, it relays using an Azure server. Enable the Azure feature and then have your clients use the vpnxxxxx0840.vpnazure.net DDNS address it gives. I think you should be able to connect.

See info at the link below
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... .VPN_Azure