External connection fails but internal works

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
TheNewJavaman

External connection fails but internal works

Post by TheNewJavaman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 am

Hello!

TLDR; Internal IP connection works, external IP doesn't.

I just set up and tested my VPN setup. My Android phone can connect to the server using the server's internal IP address successfully, but using the *.softether.net DDNS address or my public IP doesn't work. My Samsung S9 shows the message "Unsuccessful." I pinged my DDNS address and it showed my IP address successfully. I have port forwarded SSH/web services in the past in my router, so I tried that as well (ports 443, 992, 1194, 5555, 500, 4500, both TCP/UDP for all), in case NAT-T doesn't work with my consumer-grade router. I pinged each port with Netcat to verify that the connection is open. I know that the VPN server is set up correctly. My client can connect, so the issue must be with my router. Is there a step that I missed for external connections?

I would really appreciate any help. If my phrasing doesn't make sense, please help me find the right words. I'm new to this stuff :)

gogotha

Re: External connection fails but internal works

Post by gogotha » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:33 am

Check if your router supports VPN pass-through or see if protocols gre 47, ipsec-esp 50 and ipsec-ah 51 can be allowed.

TheNewJavaman

Re: External connection fails but internal works

Post by TheNewJavaman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:38 am

Thank you for your reply. Update: the VPN works, so long as my VPN Manager application is not logged into the server. Do you know why?