VPN_Azure option with my own private VPS server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
pps83

VPN_Azure option with my own private VPS server

Post by pps83 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 am

Hi,

first of all, from quick observation SoftEther looks really impressive :)
In my case I have two locations (physically 2 miles away from each other), but there is no way for me to make direct connection between them as I don't get assigned a public IP at home. For that reason I cannot RDP into my home box, however, teamviewer (or chrome remote desktop) work, but they route traffic through their servers in Europe (in my case like 5000kms away). For that reason signal between my PCs has to travel the distance twice (from on PC to relay, and from relay back). This is very unstable, and I get random pings in the range of 200-400ms. To fix the issue, I rented a VPS server nearby and installed OpenVPN server on it: this totally fixed the problem, I can not RDP and the ping is 5ms.
However, perhaps due to the way I (mis)configured OpenVPN, these my PCs don't see each other the way they saw when they were both connected to the same LAN. My goal is to make them think that they are part of the same LAN and I'd like to try to use SoftEther instead to do it. I'd need to install it similarly to VPN_Azure described in https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... .VPN_Azure however, instead of using Azure cloud, I'd like to install relay on my own VPS server.
Is there explanation how to do that? I'd like to configure it so that it would either use direct p2p connections between PCs if possible. If not, then try to use my own relay or relays provided by SoftEther itself (depending on which one is closer).

Thanks

sky59

Re: VPN_Azure option with my own private VPS server

Post by sky59 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm

If you want to make your own relay you need public ip, it must be a server waiting for connection coming from client, in this case from 2 clients

So you can directly make SE server in one place and SE client on another place

pps83

Post by pps83 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 pm

sky59 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm
it must be a server waiting for connection coming from client, in this case from 2 clients
Obviously, how else can it be a relay server without public IP? VPS servers usually do have public (most of the time static) IP.
VPS server, however, is a linux box.

I'd like to add it as an optional relay server, that should be used only if there is no direct route between PCs. Similar to hamachi

sky59

Post by sky59 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Why you want to make it complicated?

SE server <--------> SE client

Is the easiest solution. What for additional server?

pps83

Post by pps83 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 am

I have two computers and there is no way for them to make direct (p2p) connection because both of them are behind symmetrical nat.
If SoftEther provides its own relay servers (through Azure cloud) then my two PCs will be connected through these relays, however, I'm 100% certain that the result will not be OK, as all google/amazon/azure cloud servers are very far away from my current location with pings of ~100ms. At times of high use pings grow to 200-400ms with high packet loss. RDP over such networking conditions is unbearable, that's why I want to install/configure my own relay server in my own geo location. Currently, I have configured OpenVPN server on my own VPS server and both my computers connect to it and everything works great with pigs of 5-7ms with no issues at peak use hours. I simply want to try to use SoftEther instead of OpenVPN

sky59

Post by sky59 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 am

you do not know what you want:

do you have two or three locations?
do you have public IP available? in first article you write you do not have...

I really do not understand what you want and what you have