Raspberry pi 4

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
zatarra2930

Raspberry pi 4

Post by zatarra2930 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 am

Hello,
I recently bought an pi4, and would like to install the vpn server on the pi4. But I cant find any info regarding this, there are downloads available for raspberry, 32 bits, but my impression from reading diffrent forums is that this will not work due to the 64 bit os. Anyone tried this? I forgot to mention, I'm using Debian buster.

thank you in advance

Fredrik

ozone

Re: Raspberry pi 4

Post by ozone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Frederik,

What os are you running on pi4?
(I ask since I understood that current Raspbian-buster (lite) is still 32b, but I haven't got a pi4 to actually test it)

Oz

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Raspbian is still a 32bit OS. A 64bt version is development. So you can use the 32bit variant...or build it from source.

git clone
cd intoTheFolder
./configure
make -C tmp -j4
sudo make -C tmp -j4 install
(and look in the error mesages for the missing dependecies)

sky59

Post by sky59 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:59 pm

I tried it last week on Buster Raspbian and it crashes immediatelly on "readline"

It is necessary install about 10 missing packages

ozone

Post by ozone » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 pm

ok, so on pi4 with buster (32b):

works fine after installing the missing packages?

sky59

Post by sky59 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 pm

I do not know. I did not waste time with Buster.

I use openwrt, see here

https://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64802

curiouser

Post by curiouser » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm

I've been running a remote access VPN server and a LAN to LAN bridge on ARM SBCs (2x rock64s initially, now 1x rock64 = 1x rPi4). Here's a rough script that I follow for installing. This general script has worked for rock64 running Ubuntu 18.04 and rPi4 running 20.04 though my setup hasn't exceeded about 60Mb/s even though 400Mb/s is the lower of the two ISP link speeds.

NOTE: you cannot just run this script, rather you can read through it and copy paste things to ensure everything is working as you go:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# as root
sudo su

# dependencies
# apt install pthread ncurses readline openssl zlib libc gcc binutils readline-devel ncurses-devel openssl-devel libssl-dev
apt install -y openssl gcc binutils libreadline-gplv2-dev libssl-dev libncurses5-dev bridge-utils net-tools

# clone source
git clone https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN_Stable.git
cd SoftEtherVPN_Stable/

# build
./configure

# edit Makefile and remove `-m64` from several lines
# might be able to apply this as a patch
# -OPTIONS_COMPILE_DEBUG=-D_DEBUG -DDEBUG -DUNIX -DUNIX_LINUX -DCPU_64 -D_REENTRANT -DREENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_THREADSAFE -DTHREAD_SAFE -DTHREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I./src/ -I./src/Cedar/ -I./src/Mayaqua/ -g -fsigned-char 
# +OPTIONS_COMPILE_DEBUG=-D_DEBUG -DDEBUG -DUNIX -DUNIX_LINUX -DCPU_64 -D_REENTRANT -DREENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_THREADSAFE -DTHREAD_SAFE -DTHREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I./src/ -I./src/Cedar/ -I./src/Mayaqua/ -g -fsigned-char -m64

# -OPTIONS_LINK_DEBUG=-g -fsigned-char  -lm -ldl -lrt -lpthread -lssl -lcrypto -lreadline -lncurses -lz
# +OPTIONS_LINK_DEBUG=-g -fsigned-char -m64 -lm -ldl -lrt -lpthread -lssl -lcrypto -lreadline -lncurses -lz

# -OPTIONS_COMPILE_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DVPN_SPEED -DUNIX -DUNIX_LINUX -DCPU_64 -D_REENTRANT -DREENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_THREADSAFE -DTHREAD_SAFE -DTHREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I./src/ -I./src/Cedar/ -I./src/Mayaqua/ -O2 -fsigned-char 
# +OPTIONS_COMPILE_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DVPN_SPEED -DUNIX -DUNIX_LINUX -DCPU_64 -D_REENTRANT -DREENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_THREADSAFE -DTHREAD_SAFE -DTHREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I./src/ -I./src/Cedar/ -I./src/Mayaqua/ -O2 -fsigned-char -m64

# -OPTIONS_LINK_RELEASE=-O2 -fsigned-char  -lm -ldl -lrt -lpthread -lssl -lcrypto -lreadline -lncurses -lz
# +OPTIONS_LINK_RELEASE=-O2 -fsigned-char -m64 -lm -ldl -lrt -lpthread -lssl -lcrypto -lreadline -lncurses -lz

vi Makefile 
make -j4
make install

# start script
cat << EOF > /usr/local/sbin/vpnbridge_start.sh
#!/bin/bash
# start softether VPN bridge (which creates tap, be sure to configure a new tap device named "vpn" under "local bridge")
vpnbridge start
sleep 5

# create bridge 
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 tap_vpn eth0

# release IP from eth0 so it can be assigned to br0 in a moment
dhclient -r eth0
ip a del 192.168.1.101/24 dev eth0

# bring up bridge and use eth0 Mac address so that DCHP reservations continue to work
ip link set dev br0 up
ip link set br0 address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff # replace me with the mac address that DHCP server expects

# request IP address from DHCP server
dhclient br0

# add route from this host to bridged network
ip route add 10.0.0.0/24 via 192.168.1.200
# comment out below for 20.04 it seems
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables
EOF

# stop script
cat << EOF > /usr/local/sbin/vpnbridge_stop.sh
#!/bin/bash
# bring bridge down
ip link set dev br0 down
brctl delbr br0
# restore eth0
netplan apply
# stop softether VPN bridge (which destroys tap)
vpnbridge stop
EOF

# make start and stop scripts executable
chmod 700 /usr/local/sbin/vpnbridge_start.sh /usr/local/sbin/vpnbridge_stop.sh

# create service
cat << EOF > /lib/systemd/system/vpnbridge.service
[Unit]
Description=SoftEther VPN Bridge
After=network.target
[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/vpnbridge_start.sh
ExecStop=/bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/vpnbridge_stop.sh
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
EOF

# enable service to start vpnbridge on boot
systemctl enable vpnbridge

BobVVue

Post by BobVVue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:41 pm

I have installed on 5 or 6 Rpi4s over the last year. Works great. With Covid, we use one at our work as a VPNServer for 8-10 people and have no problems.

There were some scripts from the Rpi version of Raspberrian that didn't work with networking on Buster. It is fixable, not using BRIDGE UTILITIES as I avoided. Some of the original network stuff from my Rpi3 days wouldn't work right on the version of Debain Buster and it never re-establish the network connection if the RJ45 cable was pulled but that is fixable too.

Also, I do download the latest version of softether ARM32 bit version and do a simple compile and make on the Pi. Don't download any extra SSL stuff, but that may be needed for?????

The hardest part is getting the bridging working to the local network as Pi doesn't have 2 cards and have to use a TAP virtual device and local bridging to that.

Looking at the script in this thread, there are apparently multiple ways to do this as it uses brctl utilities that I avoided as they are getting depreciated but still work.

I also don't use DHCP and can NEVER use a WIFI connection as has something to do with promiscuous mode on the WiFi card doesn't work, so have to connect over RJ45 to ethernmet.

sky59

Post by sky59 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:05 am

I use the same (single) network card for connecting to internet and also as local bridge

lwk523

Post by lwk523 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:38 am

HI zatarra2930 ,
What is the max speed with Raspberry pi 4 ? I stucked at 150Mbps but my internet connection is 500Mbps (Server and client ).

lwk523

Post by lwk523 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:45 am

BobVVue wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:41 pm
I have installed on 5 or 6 Rpi4s over the last year. Works great. With Covid, we use one at our work as a VPNServer for 8-10 people and have no problems.

There were some scripts from the Rpi version of Raspberrian that didn't work with networking on Buster. It is fixable, not using BRIDGE UTILITIES as I avoided. Some of the original network stuff from my Rpi3 days wouldn't work right on the version of Debain Buster and it never re-establish the network connection if the RJ45 cable was pulled but that is fixable too.

Also, I do download the latest version of softether ARM32 bit version and do a simple compile and make on the Pi. Don't download any extra SSL stuff, but that may be needed for?????

The hardest part is getting the bridging working to the local network as Pi doesn't have 2 cards and have to use a TAP virtual device and local bridging to that.

Looking at the script in this thread, there are apparently multiple ways to do this as it uses brctl utilities that I avoided as they are getting depreciated but still work.

I also don't use DHCP and can NEVER use a WIFI connection as has something to do with promiscuous mode on the WiFi card doesn't work, so have to connect over RJ45 to ethernmet.
Hi , What is the max speed you can get with your setup ?

Thank you