Static IP

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
seanas3

Static IP

Post by seanas3 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:22 am

If this question has been asked before please forgive me, I could not find exactly what I was looking for. I am not an IT person, and have gotten this far by watching a lot of YouTube videos. A friend of mine is trying to control a Flex Radio from outside his home network. I believe what i needed to do was create a VPN on his home network so he do such a thing. However, it look like he needs to have a static IP address from his ISP in order to use his radio. Now I thought the my home brew raspberry pi with SoftEther would allow him to defeat this but, as I am in familiar territory, I was hoping someone could help out please. My question really is, does my friend need a Static IP from his ISP in order to use SoftEther? Thank You much for your time.

sky59

Re: Static IP

Post by sky59 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 am

A bit difficult to understand what you need, so here is my hopefully answer to the subject:
You need public IP address from isp, this means nobody else in this world has the same IP on
internet at this moment

It can also be static, but for softether is not needed, it has DDNS implemented

So if isp changes your public address (after isp router reboot) softether
automatically adapts to new public ip

seanas3

Post by seanas3 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 pm

A couple of things that puzzle me, and I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I created a VPN with a RaspberryPi and Software. that ip address is xx.xx.xx.135. I was able to get my windows 10 laptop to connect to VPN locally. However, I could not connect to the remotely through SoftEther. Any ideas why this would be the case?

sky59

Post by sky59 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:53 am

it is like this