Connecting to a VPN server from Linux

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dschoen

Connecting to a VPN server from Linux

Post by dschoen » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am

Hi Folks, I am super new to using VPN's so please excuse me lack of knowledge.

I am attempting to connect to a work computer that requires me to be running this VPN. I have it installed correctly on my laptop and have done all the checks and such... but I don't know how to actually set up the connection to my works server.

They have instructions for windows and mac, but I am running on linux, and my softether VPN is not a GUI or anything like those instructions show.

They say:
After you've finished installing the SoftEther client, the SoftEther VPN Client Manager program should open. Go to the "Virtual Adapter" menu, then select New Virtual Network Adapter...

In the "Virtual Network Adapter Name:" field, type VPN. If it won't accept "VPN", try "VPN2", then "VPN3", until the name is accepted. Click OK.

You should see your new adapter listed in the bottom pane of the SoftEther VPN Client Manager window, under "Virtual Network Adapter Name". Once you see your new adapter, double click on Add VPN Connection in the top pane.

In the "New VPN Connection Setting Properties" window, enter settings as follows:
Setting Name: ---
Host Name: ---
Virtual Hub Name: ---
Auth Type: ---
User Name: ---

I am just very confused and I have no idea how to proceed. Could someone please provide me some direction?

Thank you!

gg_user

Re: Connecting to a VPN server from Linux

Post by gg_user » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:50 am

Hi!

In the directory with the softeter server you need to perform the following actions:
1) ./vpncmd , select "Management of VPN Client"
2) create settings for connecting to the vpn server:

Code: Select all

AccountCreate vpncon1 /SERVER:x.x.x.x:port /HUB:VPNHUB /USERNAME:user /NICNAME:vpn
AccountPasswordSet vpncon1 /PASSWORD:****** /TYPE:standard
3) make additional settings for vpn-connection:

AccountEncryptEnable vpncon1
AccountDetailSet vpncon1 /MAXTCP:2 /INTERVAL:1  ......
4) connection / disconnection vpn-connection:

AccountConnect vpncon1
AccountDisconnect vpncon1
5) verify that the virtual adapter was created:

ip a
6) get the ip address from the VPN server on the virtual adapter:

dhclient vpn_vpn
(vpn_vpn - this is the virtual adapter (NICNAME) created above)

7) see the status of the VPN connection:

AccountList
The only inconvenience is that the VPN server does not manage dhclient