Sync Between different servers

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
megatronz

Sync Between different servers

Post by megatronz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:59 am

Hello,

I have 5 different servers, i want to sync the connected users between them. for example a username called "jack" exist in the 5 servers, if jack connected to server A, he cant connect to server B unless he disconnect from server A, i already set policy to limit Concurrents but i want to sync it between servers so server B knows that jack is already connected to another server which is A.

Thanks.

raafat

Re: Sync Between different servers

Post by raafat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Did you try the clustering feature which comes built-in with softether?

megatronz

Post by megatronz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:23 pm

raafat wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm
Did you try the clustering feature which comes built-in with softether?
Thanks for the answer, yes i have tried it but unfortunately i cannot use openvpn or L2TP while clustering, is there is any other way to do it?

raafat

Post by raafat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Hello there! you are welcome anytime. Kindly if you can post more details regarding your set up it would be much better. So, as far as I understood you, you want a complete clustering functionality while using both OpenVPN & IPSec? Natively SoftEther doesn't support those two protocols while clustering functionality is enabled. If you want to just cluster the backing authentication system that could be possible in some way. So may you be more specific and determine what you want to do with your SE set up?

Best regardings

megatronz

Post by megatronz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:05 pm

raafat wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:18 pm
Hello there! you are welcome anytime. Kindly if you can post more details regarding your set up it would be much better. So, as far as I understood you, you want a complete clustering functionality while using both OpenVPN & IPSec? Natively SoftEther doesn't support those two protocols while clustering functionality is enabled. If you want to just cluster the backing authentication system that could be possible in some way. So may you be more specific and determine what you want to do with your SE set up?

Best regardings
Hello raafat, i have 5 servers in different locations, each server have hub called "default" and have username called "jack", i want to limit that user from connecting to more than one server at the same time, so if he connected to server (A), he can't connect to server (B) unless he disconnect first from server (A).

I'm using Softether + OpenVPN (Localbridge)

with security policy i can limit the user to only make 1 login at the same time to a server using (UserPolicySet MultiLogins 1) the user "jack" can only connect from 1 device to a specific server at the same time, but he still can connect to other servers.

is there is a way to sync the current running session between servers, so if "jack" is connected to any server he won't be able to connect to any other servers.

raafat

Post by raafat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:33 pm

Hello there! Well it's clearly that what you are trying to achieve isn't possible natively with Softether since it doesn't support clustering functionality for OpenVPN & IPsec protocols. I said that to encourage you to try to use ONLY VPN protocols which are supported natively from the clustering feature that is built in with Softether. Anyway, if you only want to prevent a user from being connected to more than one server at a given time I suggest to use FreeRADIUS, or any alternative you would like to use, as the authentication system. In other words set all of your Softether servers to use one FreeRADIUS databaase. Then you can limit the number of simultaneous connections per user.

you can start with this article https://www.radiusdesk.com/docuwiki/use ... eous_limit

You have to notice that this suggestion handles sync of the authentication system and prevents a user from logging in multiple times but what about the failure of VPN servers? In case one server fail, how do you redirect incoming connections to other servers? So you are supposed to handle that case and, of course, other things!