Utilize Local Bridge between Virtual Hub & 3rd Party VPN Adapter...

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
DavidMerrill

Utilize Local Bridge between Virtual Hub & 3rd Party VPN Adapter...

Post by DavidMerrill » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 pm

I've just jumped into using SoftEther VPN, it certainly seems feature-rich & have had a fair amount of success getting it going for a client (I've got several virtual-hubs running (each of which supply DHCP addresses via SecureNAT & support split-VPNs to different public IPs).

This client has come to me with an odd scenario (I'll break it down based on what I THINK I might be able to do with SoftEther VPN) where:
  • they want to use the SoftEther VPN connection (using the SoftEther VPN client) to the SoftEther-VPN-server I've set up (say they're connecting to the virtual-hub called MyVirtualHub
  • they want the SoftEther-VPN-server to make a VPN connection (using a 3rd-party VPN client),
  • they want to utilize the "local bridge" functionality to route traffic between MyVirtualHub and the subnet on the other side of the 3rd-party VPN client (i.e. SoftEther-VPN-client <===> SoftEther-VPN-server <===> SoftEthr-VPN-local-bridge functionality <===> 3rd-party-VPN-virtual-adapter <===> remote subnets
I've been able to setup the "local bridge" in SoftEtherVPN between the virtual-hub and the 3rd-party-VPN-virtual-adapter but in my tests connecting to the virtual-hub I do not get a DHCP address nor to I get the required routes I expect (that would support split-VPN).

I'd hoped once that I was able to bridge the virtual-hub with the adapter associated with the 3rd-party VPN that things would work but clearly I'm missing something. Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

DavidMerrill

Re: Utilize Local Bridge between Virtual Hub & 3rd Party VPN Adapter...

Post by DavidMerrill » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

Still kicking this around and found this nugget:
which states:

Local Bridging with a Virtual Network Adapter

When a VPN Client is installed on the computer on which the VPN Server or VPN Bridge is installed and a Virtual Network Adapter is registered on the system, this Virtual Network Adapter should appear in the physical network adapter list. In this case it is technically possible to configure a local bridge between the Virtual Hub and the Virtual Network Adapter, although there are almost no benefits to such a configuration from a practical perspective.

I've been pushed a bit it to understand the underlying bits to answer why "there are almost no benefits" (so as to demonstrate due diligence). The "almost" is tantalizing.

Has anyone considered trying this kind of thing before?

Thanks for any consideration on this one.

MenaceF1

Re: Utilize Local Bridge between Virtual Hub & 3rd Party VPN Adapter...

Post by MenaceF1 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Forgive the useless reply, but I'm trying to do exactly the same thing, and have the exact same problem as you.
I'm about to give up and assume that this cannot be done, but I'm curious if you ever got it to work?