Can't connect to vpnserver via L2TP unless SecureNAT is enabled

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Lonk

Post by Lonk » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:20 am

Which creates a Double NAT scenario. If I don’t turn the SecureNAT service on, iOS won’t be able to obtain an IP address and then times out. Do I need to download my own DHCP server? I tried doing local bridging and it still won’t connect unless, of course, SecureNAT is enabled *but then* I can’t access anything local, defeating the purpose of the VPN (for me anyway).
Last edited by Lonk on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lonk

Post by Lonk » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:48 pm

I was able to disable the NAT portion and only use the DHCP server and iOS 14 successfully connected but I messed with so many things that I can't even access the internet anymore, much less local devices. I think that's a simple DNS issue tho, which shouldn't effect local device IPs - yet I still can't get to them. It's like I'm still in a Double NAT. I'm really trying to get dnsmasq to be the DHCP server, but only the internal DHCP server is working (if I disable it, then DNSMasq doesn't assign the L2TP connecting phone an IP and it times out again.

Btw, I'm using both Mac and Windows for these experiments. On Windows I can't even get local bridging to work despite running vpnserverx64 as admin (which is needed to get local bridging working in macOS).