Having trouble connecting to my own SoftetherVPN Server at school while public servers work fine.

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Dolyfin

Having trouble connecting to my own SoftetherVPN Server at school while public servers work fine.

Post by Dolyfin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:59 am

I have my own Softethehr VPN server setup at home, everything is configured and ports 80 and 443 are open. I have tested using my phone's 4G hotspot from my laptop and can easily connect using the Softether client. The problem is while I'm on school wifi I simply get stuck on 'Connecting to ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". I am 100% sure my ip isn't blocked by the school, tested by using a webserver on port 80 and typing my ip into a browser. I am also 100% sure outgoing port 80 and 443 are not blocked by using the free Windscribe VPN and setting to UDP port 80/443. I am also able to connect to any Japanese Softether Open gateway servers using port 443 without issue. I am very confused at why my connection is not working to my own server but is working for others. Everything seems to be set correctly. Is there some configuration I am missing? Disabling NAT-T gave me a protocol error 2 and I'm not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated.

Afakename

Re: Having trouble connecting to my own SoftetherVPN Server at school while public servers work fine.

Post by Afakename » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:10 pm

Open a DOS window, enter

telnet your.home.ip.address 443

do you get a connection? (a blinking cursor)
or you get trying....and hangs (meaning no connection).

If you get a blinking cursor, that means you are able to connect via 443. On the VPN client, ensure the port is set to 443