Server Client simultaneously

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Pseudomax

Server Client simultaneously

Post by Pseudomax » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:00 am

Hi

I am looking to setup a linux server with SoftEther, but I would like to have it operate both as a server and a client.

Essentially, I have a commercial VPN that I wish to use when I choose (as a client on OpenVPN). But I also need to connect another site on a bridge so that that remote site receives IP addresses from the same DHCP server (router) as all local LAN devices.

Is this possible? I do have 2 NIC in the server...

Thanks

solo

Re: Server Client simultaneously

Post by solo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 am

SoftEther can operate both as a server and a client, but not OpenVPN client. SoftEther has only OpenVPN server option.

As for the second part of your question, no problem, simply add a bridge on the server and the remote site will receive DHCP via its own bridge to all net devices.

Pseudomax

Post by Pseudomax » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:03 pm

@solo, many thanks for the reply...

So if I understand correctly, I will need to have both SoftEther and OpenVPN installed. Would I need to bind each to a separate NIC or can I simply use different ports?

I have not used SoftEther previously... so (as a noob) I would greatly value a step by step tutorial in setting up a Linux bridge (with obfuscation). I travel (when the world is not locked down) and my home TV provider limits my remote viewing outside the country by inspecting packets for VPN traffic. So given the premium I pay for the TV I would like to make sure I can watch when I choose...

solo

Post by solo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 pm

OpenVPN client will create a virtual NIC for you. SoftEther has extensive documentation with step-by-step tutorials, so no point repeating them here. However may I suggest something else for the commercial VPN access - get a small (pocket-like) "GL.iNet" router and use its OpenVPN client. It offers WiFi and Ethernet for both WAN and LAN - very convenient for travel.

Pseudomax

Post by Pseudomax » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 am

Thank you @solo ... I just bought "GL.iNet" router on the back of your post!

I will take a closer look at all the documentation for setting things up!

Also, your answer on the virtual NIC for OpenVPN makes sense to me now. Is this also true for SoftEther?

solo

Post by solo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:26 am

I have a few of these routers. Some of them on alternative DD-WRT or OpenWrt firmware. In OpenWrt it is possible to install SoftEther too.

Yes, SoftEther client creates a virtual NIC, and SoftEther server can bridge to existing NICs.