Cannot connect to VPN Server using the SoftEther VPN client over internet

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
koubaha

Cannot connect to VPN Server using the SoftEther VPN client over internet

Post by koubaha » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 am

I set up a SoftEther VPN Server on a Windows machine. I can connect to it using the SoftEther VPN Client only in my private network but can't connect to it from a public internet network I'm getting an Error Code 1 - unable to connect to the server.

I have disable the Windows Firewall but still not working. Any thing else I could try to get the connection happening?

nobody12

Re: Cannot connect to VPN Server using the SoftEther VPN client over internet

Post by nobody12 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:15 pm

Error 1 means: cannot connect because nobody listens.
Try the following:
Disable the Windows Firewall (you did already)
Review your Internet-Routers inbound port mapping:
You cannot redirect one port to multiple IP Adresses inside the local network. For a test, disable all port forwards on the router, then create a new one, pointing to the internal IP of the softether server.
Check your routers Firewall/disable it.
Check if you really have a public IPv4.Many providers will give you only an IPv6. IPv4 translation to your router might be done at your providers Network.That means your router is behind a NAT firewall.

sky59

Post by sky59 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:18 pm

Your server must be on public ip

koubaha

Post by koubaha » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:23 am

i disabled both of the Firewall on the router and windows but client still not connecting to the vpn server !

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:27 am

From an external IP, try to conect using telnet to the port where you expect the VPN server is running.
If you dont get a connection, then either your port foward is not working, or you are firewalled by your provider
If you get a connect, shutdown then softeher server. Disable all port forwards on the router. Then try again to connect using telnet. If you still get a connection something in the router itself like the management is redirecting the traffic to the router.