Can't connect to SE server using VPN Azure from certain networks

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
farmvpn

Can't connect to SE server using VPN Azure from certain networks

Post by farmvpn » Tue May 04, 2021 5:21 pm

I have a SoftEther server running on a Raspberry Pi within my home intranet. I do not have a public IP address. These test cases all work fine:
1) a direct connection to my server from Linux clients in that same subnet using the server's private IP
2) a connection to my server from Linux clients in that same subnet using VPN Azure and DDNS
3) a SoftEther client on a Windows computer on my employer's remote intranet (again, no public IP) using the VPN Azure service/DDNS
4) an SSTP connection from my Android phone to my server while disconnected from my local WiFi, again without a public IP and using VPN Azure/DDNS

I have additional Raspberry Pi's on a remote intranet. These also do not have public IPs so I am currently connecting to them via Logmein Hamachi. I would like to be able to connect them to my home intranet using the SoftEther server instead. I have configured their SoftEther clients identically to the working Linux clients using vpncmd, but the connection status never changes from "Connecting" after I run AccountConnect. When I check the logs on my server I do not see anything coming from that remote network, so I don't think the clients are able to reach my server using VPN Azure. I confirmed with my local ISP that they are not blocking anything. Cases 1-4 work whether I have my firewall disabled or not. Are there any other settings I can try on my remote Raspberrys, or is it likely that the remote ISP is blocking something?
Thanks for any ideas.

farmvpn

Re: Can't connect to SE server using VPN Azure from certain networks

Post by farmvpn » Sat May 08, 2021 1:55 am

Oddly enough, if I directly specify the same public IP address that VPN Azure would point to, then I can connect clients to my SoftEther server from the remote intranet that doesn't otherwise work using VPN Azure. I still don't understand why VPN Azure doesn't work for clients connecting from just that network.