VPN not working after update

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
vpnmn

VPN not working after update

Post by vpnmn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello,

I’ve had my server running just fine for 2 years without touching anything. I was notified of an update and after it installed, I can no longer connect to my VPN. As far as I can tell, no settings were changed. Please help, and let me know what information I can provide.

markb21

Re: VPN not working after update

Post by markb21 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:54 am

Same issue for me also. I have installed "SoftEther VPN server" on a VM in Azure and connecting my home PC to that VPN.

Everything was working fine until about a week ago when I updated the server and also updated the client. Now the client is unable to connect and times out.

On the server "Enable VPN Azure" is selected, but Status shows "Not Connected". Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

markb21

Post by markb21 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 pm

Some progress... but still not fully resolved.

- VPN Azure now shows as connected on the server. I didnt change anything on the server - just let it run for a few hours. Dont know what changed.
- SE Client is able to connect to the VPN. However it looks like DHCP is failing since the client is not getting an IP address and "what is my ip" still returns my original ip instead of the one through the VPN.

vpnmn

Post by vpnmn » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 am

So far I haven't had any luck. I've poked around in every setting and can't figure it out. I would prefer not to use Azure just because I like connecting straight to my own network but I will do this if I can't figure it out. I may try to revert.

vpnmn

Post by vpnmn » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:03 am

Update: I was able to get it working, I had to remove a port forwarding rule on my router and readd it. I noticed this by testing through telnet. Maybe this is the same issue you are having.

markb21

Post by markb21 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:22 pm

Thanks and glad it got resolved for you.

I dont have any port fwding rules though - will keep looking/trying.

maggus

Post by maggus » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 am

i also had issues with the connection.

but it was more on and off.

mine is not really in use yet, thats why it is hard to tell. maybe that was something temporary?

markb21

Post by markb21 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:19 am

Still not working.
Client connects to the VPN server on Azure, but is unable to get an IP address from the DHCP server.

markb21

Post by markb21 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:42 am

Issue got resolved.
I uninstalled the latest build, reinstalled the previous build and enabled SecureNAT and it all started working again!!