Small and small entergy SoftEther VPN !SERVER! ??

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Mr.Galaxy

Small and small entergy SoftEther VPN !SERVER! ??

Post by Mr.Galaxy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a user from Germany and here in Germany we have many problems related to fast & good internet, high electricity prices.

That's why I want to use SoftEther VPN, albeit for different reasons than those assumed in the description.

The normal internet connections are disrupted locally and that's why I use an LTE connection. However, these cannot be controlled externally (via the Internet).

With SoftEther VPN I expect the desired functionality.

I use it privately and only occasionally and rather briefly. Because of the local electricity prices, I don't want to run the Windows PC continuously.

Question 1: Is it conceivable to run SoftEther VPN SERVER on an Android smartphone? possibly with root.

Question 2: Does anyone know of a small and energy-efficient unit (mini-PC, smartphone, single-plan computer, etc.) where the SoftEhter VPN SERVER runs well?

solo

Re: Small and small entergy SoftEther VPN !SERVER! ??

Post by solo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm

You could get GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 mini router for around $20, change to OpenWrt firmware and then install SoftEther server package.
Power consumption <2.75W
It's at peak/boot, normally much less.
Last edited by solo on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Galaxy

Post by Mr.Galaxy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:50 pm

Very interesting. LTE is internet via mobile network. That's why I can't exchange the 1st router. Can this be combined? Via Lan cable in the same local network?

solo

Post by solo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:48 pm

Yes, the modified router is no longer a router but a LAN device with SE server. BTW, you can use any router supported by OpenWrt but there may be performance issues.

Your LTE provider most likely does not allow incoming connections so you need to use SE VPN Azure option or cascade it to another SE server elsewhere. Keep in mind that idle VPN Azure connection requires around 50MB+ per day of your LTE data.

sky59

Post by sky59 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:17 am

you can use raspberry pi one of the first generations

I have experience that RPiB2 with SE comsumes in average much less than 1Watt